A delicious mince recipe that uses tasty pasta and a super rich sauce, this dish would suit your next dinner party or even just a fancy week night dinner if you want something special.
- 25g (1oz) butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 4 slices smoked pancetta, finely sliced
- 225g (8oz) lean minced beef
- 2 tsp tomato puree
- 150ml (1/4 pt) medium dry sherry, Madeira or white wine
- 6 sage leaves, finely chopped
- 150g (5oz) chicken livers, any fat removed, rinsed, dried and chopped
- 500g (1lb 2oz) pasta
- Freshly grated Parmesan to serve
Melt the butter with the olive oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion and cook for 10 minutes or until golden. Add the garlic and pancetta and cook for a further 5 minutes. Crumble in the minced beef, increase the heat and cook stirring the meat for 5 minutes until well browned. Add the chicken livers and cook just until they lose their red colour.
Add the tomato puree, sherry and sage, season with salt and plenty of black pepper and simmer for a further 10 minutes, until the beef is cooked through.
Meanwhile cook the pasta in a large pan of boiling salted water according to the packet instructions. Drain the pasta reserving a ladleful of the cooking water. Put the pasta back into the saucepan, pour over the sauce and add a little of the reserved cooking water if the sauce is a little dry. Divide between four warmed plates and serve with plenty of Parmesan.