Slice half the strawberries and place in a bowl with 1tbsp Grand Marnier and a teaspoon of sugar. Halve the remainder and leave in another bowl with 1tbsp Grand Marnier and 2tsp sugar. Cover and set aside.
Melt the dark chocolate, then add the water a spoonful at a time. Keep stirring. It will thicken at first, but will be smooth once all the water is in. Set aside.
Warm the milk with the remaining Grand Marnier - dip enough sponge fingers to make two layers and place in the base of your dish.
Beat the mascarpone with the egg yolks and remaining sugar, add the cream and beat until thick. Beat the egg white until stiff. Fold it in.
- Place a layer of sliced strawberries over the sponge fingers, followed by about a third of the mascarpone, then spoon over all the chocolate. Put in the fridge for 30 minutes to set, then add the remaining sponge fingers dipped in the milk mix. Add the remaining mascarpone and top with the halved strawberries. Cover with clingfilm and leave in the fridge for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- 600g (1lb 5oz) strawberries, hulled
- 8tbsp Grand Marnier or Cointreau
- 65g (21/2oz) caster sugar
- 225g (8oz) dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- 225ml (8fl oz) boiling water
- 5tbsp milk
- around 150g (5oz) sponge fingers
- 250g (9oz) mascarpone
- 2 egg yolks plus 1 egg white
- 150ml (1/4pt) double cream
Christmas Cake Tray Bake
For a quick and easy alternative to Christmas cake, try out this Christmas Cake Tray Bake. It's packed with all the delicious fruit you'd expect and is so quick!
By Samuel Goldsmith • Published
Burnt Basque Cheesecake with Mulberry sauce
Once we tried our first slice of burnt Basque cheesecake from San Sebastian, we knew it was love! We’ve paired ours with some seasonal berries for good measure.
By Rose Fooks • Published
Christmas pudding cheesecake
This Christmas pudding cheesecake makes an excellent pud for the Boxing Day buffet
By Rose Fooks • Published
The bittersweet reason Prince William once dreamed of being a policeman
A royal insider has reported that despite his royal destiny to become King, Prince William once dreamed of being a policeman
By Laura Harman • Published
Queen will not address the nation when she reaches this historic landmark next month
The Queen will not speak to the public when she passes her Platinum Jubilee on February 6, according to a royal expert
By Emma Dooney • Published
This TikTok hack promises to help you fall asleep in TWO minutes
Another TikTok trend has gone viral and we can see why!
By Lucy Gornall • Published