Everyone loves a sticky toffee pudding, so we thought we’d take it one step further and turn it into a sundae. Knickerbocker-Glorious!
If you’ve got a sweet tooth that needs satisfying, our sticky toffee ice cream sundae is your solution. The sticky toffee sauce is rich, indulgent and the perfect partner to cold vanilla ice cream. If you love sticky toffee pudding but need a lighter option for during the warmer option, you need to give this sundae a try. We have used ready-made ice cream but you could go the extra mile and make a no-churn ice cream of your own. This banana ice cream would give the sundae a banoffee twist or go extra indulgent and try this chocolate and Baileys recipe.
- 175g dates, finely chopped
- 1tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 75g butter, softened
- 175g unrefined caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 255g self-raising flour
For the sauce
- 115g unsalted butter
- 90g soft light brown sugar
- 225ml double cream
- 3tbsp rum
- 1tbsp golden syrup
- 1ltr tub vanilla ice cream
- Preheat the oven to 160C/Gas 4. To make the sponge, put the dates in a bowl with the bicarbonate of soda and add 300ml boiling water.
- Beat the butter and sugar with an electric whisk until pale. Whisk in the eggs and vanilla, then sift in the flour. Add the dates and liquid and mix well. Pour into the lined cake tin and bake for 20 mins. Remove for oven and leave to cool completely before cutting into 1-inch cubes.
- To make the sauce, melt the butter and sugar in a saucepan, add in the cream, rum and golden syrup and bring to the boil for 1-2 mins until thickened slightly. Leave to cool completely.
- To serve, place cubes of sponge in the base of sundae glasses, drizzle over the sauce and top with a scoop of ice cream, repeat and drizzle the sundae with toffee sauce.
Top Tip for making Sticky toffee ice cream sundae
Add orange zest and stem ginger to the sponge for something a little different
Burnt Basque Cheesecake with Mulberry sauce
Once we tried our first slice of burnt Basque cheesecake from San Sebastian, we knew it was love! We’ve paired ours with some seasonal berries for good measure.
By Rose Fooks •
Christmas pudding cheesecake
This Christmas pudding cheesecake makes an excellent pud for the Boxing Day buffet
By Rose Fooks •
Friands with gooseberry and hazelnut
These friands with gooseberry and hazelnut make the most of the fruit's short season
By Samuel Goldsmith •
House of Gucci's incredible Lake Como home is now available to stay in through Airbnb
Private residence Villa Balbiano is out of this world beautiful
By Anna Rahmanan •
Who won The Great British Bake Off last night?
Who won The Great British Bake Off last night? The winner of Bake Off 2021 revealed
By Caitlin Elliott •
The Not On The High Street Black Friday 50% off sale is here—these are our top picks
The Not On The High Street Black Friday deals are a highly-anticipated part of the sales season—this is how to find the biggest savings
By Dominique McIntee •