- 4kg (9lb) free-range, slow-reared turkey
- 1 orange, halved
- 1 large bunch thyme and sage
- for the stuffing
- 450g (1lb) British sausage meat
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 4 anchovies, finely chopped
- 3 rashers pancetta or smoked bacon, finely chopped
- 2 sprigs rosemary, finely chopped
- 2tbsp breadcrumbs
- 2tbsp Oloroso or cream sherry
Heat the oven to 230 C, 210 C fan, 450 F, gas 8. For the stuffing, mix all the ingredients and season well.
Lift up the loose skin at the neck of the turkey, and use your fingers to gently pull the skin away from the breasts slightly. Fill the neck space with stuffing, smoothing the flap of skin back over and securing it with a cocktail stick. Push the orange and herbs into the cavity. Place the turkey in a roasting tin and cover loosely with foil. Cook for 30 minutes.
Reduce the oven temperature to 180 C, 160 C fan, 350 F, gas 4 and roast for 25 minutes per 1kg (2lb 4oz). Thirty minutes before the end of the cooking time, remove the foil and allow the skin to brown.
Once the turkey is cooked (the juices should run clear when you pierce the leg with a sharp knife), let it rest for 30 to 45 minutes, lightly covered with foil.