HOW TO MAKE ROAST BUTTERNUT SQUASH RISOTTO
- Heat the oven to 220 C, 200 C fan, 425 F, gas 7. Toss the butternut squash with the olive, chilli flakes and thyme in a large roasting tray and season, then roast for 35 minutes until golden and crispy.
- In a large pan melt the butter on a low heat and add the onion cooking gently until softened but not coloured. Add the garlic for a further minute and then pour in the rice stirring continuously for 2 minutes to coat.
- Pour the wine into the pan and stir for about 2 minutes until the liquid has been absorbed by the rice. Start adding the hot stock a ladle full at a time only allowing the rice to absorb the stock after each addition before pouring in the next ladle full.
- When all the stock has been absorbed and the rice is just cooked through but still has some bite, remove from the heat. Mash half the roast squash with the milk. Stir through the mashed squash and cheese then spoon into shallow bowls and scatter with the remaining, roasted squash pieces and Parmesan shavings.
- 1 butternut squash, halved, deseeded and roughly chopped
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 1tbsp chilli flakes (optional)
- 3 sprigs thyme, leaves picked
- 40g (1 1/2 oz) butter
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 300g (10oz) Arborio risotto rice
- 150ml (1/4pt) white wine
- 1 litre hot free-range chicken stock
- 2tbsp milk
- 50g (2oz) Parmesan cheese, plus shavings to top
Top Tip for making Roast Butternut Squash Risotto
Cook the risotto base until half the stock has been absorbed and the rice is only half cooked then spread the rice out on a plate to cool down quickly and store it in an airtight container in the fridge for a day. When needed, heat the remaining stock and your rice together, stirring all the time until all the stock has been absorbed and the rice is cooked then continue with step 4
Woman&Home's Vanity Edit: New makeup, skincare, and beauty products we love this week
We underscore the latest and greatest beauty heroes on the market, from whimsical collections to astrology-inspired eyeshadow. Here's what's currently in trend.
By Dominique McIntee •
International Women’s Day: shop with a cause with these brands’ charitable initiatives
To honor this global holiday, we've created a curation that reframes shopping as an effective vehicle for systemic change
By Dominique McIntee •
The EXACT Mood lighting you need to maximize your chances of getting laid
How you can easily increase your likelihood of having sex, according to a study...
By Selina Maycock •