- half large onion, thinly sliced
- bulb fennel, sliced
- ½tsp fennel seeds
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 400g pack smoked Toulouse sausages, skinned and chopped
- 150ml (¼pt) red wine
- 3tbsp tomato purée
- 4 tomatoes, deseeded and chopped
- 300g (10½oz) rigatoni pasta
- 4tbsp fresh Parmesan, grated
- half 15g pack of basil leaves
Fry the onion, fennel and fennel seeds in the olive oil for 10 minutes until golden.
Add the skinned and chopped sausages and cook for 3 minutes more.
Stir in the red wine, tomato purée and tomatoes, then cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, cook the pasta for 10 to 12 minutes until al dente, then drain and place in a serving dish.
Add the sauce, Parmesan and basil leaves. Serve scattered with extra grated Parmesan and shredded basil, ciabatta bread and a leafy green salad.