Is there any spring dessert recipe more satisfying than a lovely trifle? Give your usual trifle recipe a modern twist with this meringue update.
It’s a super quick pudding option you can throw together in a flash, making it perfect for dinner parties and gatherings. Peach and passion fruit bring this dish a wonderful sweetness, while the meringue is lovely and crunchy and the cream adds a lightness.
This recipe serves up to eight people and only takes 25 minutes to throw together so it’s a great one to try when you’re feeding a crowd.
HOW TO MAKE PEACH AND PASSION FRUIT MERINGUE TRIFLE
- Bring the wine to the boil in a heavy-based saucepan, add the peaches, allow to boil for a few seconds then reduce to a simmer. Cook for 15 minutes then remove from the liquid and set aside to cool, reserving a little of the cooking liquid for the cream. Peel then cut the peaches into thick wedges, discard the stones and set aside.
- Just before assembling, whip the cream with the crème fraîche, vanilla, icing sugar and 1 1/2tbsp of the cooled reduced wine until stiff. Set aside.
- Make a layer of meringue at the base of the trifle dish, pour on the custard, add the peach wedges and top with the passion fruit, reserving a little to decorate. Spoon on the cream and decorate with the reserved passion fruit.
- 500ml (18fl oz) dessert wine
- 6 ripe peaches
- 200ml (7fl oz) double cream
- 50ml (2fl oz) crème fraîche
- 1/2tsp vanilla extract
- 12 mini meringue nests
- 300ml (1/2pt) fresh custard
- 6 passion fruit, halved, seeds removed and shells discarded
Christmas Cake Tray Bake
For a quick and easy alternative to Christmas cake, try out this Christmas Cake Tray Bake. It's packed with all the delicious fruit you'd expect and is so quick!
By Samuel Goldsmith • Published
Burnt Basque Cheesecake with Mulberry sauce
Once we tried our first slice of burnt Basque cheesecake from San Sebastian, we knew it was love! We’ve paired ours with some seasonal berries for good measure.
By Rose Fooks • Published
Christmas pudding cheesecake
This Christmas pudding cheesecake makes an excellent pud for the Boxing Day buffet
By Rose Fooks • Published
Working from home tips: simple ways to make sure you're still productive
These simple working from home tips are easy to implement and should make your daily tasks a lot easier to achieve
By Amy Hunt • Published
February new moon 2022—new moon in Aquarius says it's time to look at the bigger picture
February new moon 2022 in Aquarius says it’s time to start working on the vision board—here's what that means for your star sign
By Maria Sofia Marmanides • Published
The Gilded Age—everything we know about HBO’s new drama from Downton Abbey creator Julian Fellowes
HBO’s The Gilded Age boasts an A-list cast including Cynthia Nixon, Christine Baranski, and Meryl Streep’s daughter, Louisa Jacobson
By Jack Slater • Published