Is there any spring dessert recipe more satisfying than a lovely trifle? Give your usual trifle recipe a modern twist with this meringue update.
It’s a super quick pudding option you can throw together in a flash, making it perfect for dinner parties and gatherings. Peach and passion fruit bring this dish a wonderful sweetness, while the meringue is lovely and crunchy and the cream adds a lightness.
This recipe serves up to eight people and only takes 25 minutes to throw together so it’s a great one to try when you’re feeding a crowd.
HOW TO MAKE PEACH AND PASSION FRUIT MERINGUE TRIFLE
- 500ml (18fl oz) dessert wine
- 6 ripe peaches
- 200ml (7fl oz) double cream
- 50ml (2fl oz) crème fraîche
- 1/2tsp vanilla extract
- 12 mini meringue nests
- 300ml (1/2pt) fresh custard
- 6 passion fruit, halved, seeds removed and shells discarded
- Bring the wine to the boil in a heavy-based saucepan, add the peaches, allow to boil for a few seconds then reduce to a simmer. Cook for 15 minutes then remove from the liquid and set aside to cool, reserving a little of the cooking liquid for the cream. Peel then cut the peaches into thick wedges, discard the stones and set aside.
- Just before assembling, whip the cream with the crème fraîche, vanilla, icing sugar and 1 1/2tbsp of the cooled reduced wine until stiff. Set aside.
- Make a layer of meringue at the base of the trifle dish, pour on the custard, add the peach wedges and top with the passion fruit, reserving a little to decorate. Spoon on the cream and decorate with the reserved passion fruit.
Prince Charles thanks royal fans for their condolences with rare childhood photo of him with Prince Philip
Prince Charles thanked royal supporters for reaching out after Prince Philip's death.
By Caitlin Elliott •
The Queen's childhood friend reveals touching details about the young 'Lilibeth' in never-before-published diaries
The journal entries of the Queen's childhood friend, Alathea Fitzlan Howard, have been published in The Windsor Diaries
By Emma Dooney •
William and Kate announce exciting new project: 'we're on YouTube!'
Introducing Prince William and Kate Middleton's YouTube channel...
By Lucy Abbersteen •