- For the tomato sauce
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped or crushed
- 1 x 700g jar passatta
- 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1tbsp tomato ketchup
- good pinch dried chilli flakes
- pinch caster sugar
- For the meatballs
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 400g (14oz) good-quality pork sausage meat
- 1 heaped tsp dried oregano
- zest ½ lemon
- 1 small egg, beaten
- 600g (1lb 5oz) spaghetti, cooked, to serve
- grated Parmesan cheese, to serve
To make the tomato sauce, gently heat the oil in a sauté pan and cook the onion until softened. Add the garlic and stir for a few minutes, then add the remaining ingredients and season. Bring to the boil, then simmer until starting to thicken – around 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, make the meatballs. Sweat off the onion in the olive oil using a small pan. Let it cool slightly, then put in a bowl with the sausage meat, oregano, lemon zest and seasoning.
Add the egg and mix well. With dampened hands, shape into 18 balls. Brown them in a nonstick frying pan, in batches if necessary. Add to the sauce and cook very gently until they are cooked through – it will take around 12 minutes. The meatballs should feel firm to the touch. Serve with spaghetti and plenty of freshly grated Parmesan.