- 275g (91/2oz) caster sugar
- 225g (8oz) marzipan
- 225g (8oz) unsalted butter, softened
- 6 free-range eggs
- 75g (3oz) self-raising flour, sifted
- 75g (3oz) plain flour, sifted
- 1tsp baking powder
- for the caramelised clementines:
- 10 clementines
- 150g (5oz) caster sugar
- You will need:
- 1 x 25cm (10in) springform tin, greased, and the base and sides lined with baking parchment
Preheat the oven to 170 C, 150 C fan, 325 F, gas 3. Mix the sugar and marzipan in a food processor. Add the butter and whiz until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time. Add both flours and the baking powder. Mix well then spoon into the tin and cover with foil.
Bake for 30 minutes then remove the foil and bake for 30 minutes further until a skewer comes out clean. If it’s browning too quickly, cover with foil. Cool in the tin for 10 minutes before turning out on to a wire rack to cool completely.
To make caramelised clementines, remove the peel and any pith from the clementines, slice and place in a dish. Dissolve the caster sugar with 2 tablespoons of water in a heavy-based saucepan. Cook to a rich amber caramel, add a few drops of water to thin it slightly then pour over the clementines and leave to cool.