By Jess Findlay
This chunky lentil and chickpea soup is a vibrant vegan dish that is full of warming spices. This healthy but hearty soup is a curry lover's dream, and can be paired with any of your favourite curry accompaniments. We’ve recommended serving with a bread like naan or roti, but you could also serve with poppadoms to scoop up the thick stewy soup. This lentil and chickpea soup is suitable for vegans and vegetarians, but will be loved by meat eaters too! Turmeric gives this soup its glorious yellow colour, and is also a strong antioxidant with anti-inflammatory effects.
- Heat the oven to 200C/Gas 6. Put the cauliflower on a baking tray, season, and drizzle with olive oil. Roast for 15-20 minutes until just golden.
- Meanwhile, melt the coconut oil in a large saucepan, and cook the onion for 5-10 minutes until softened and golden. Add the spices and cook until fragrant and the seeds start to pop. Add the garlic and ginger, and cook for 2 mins before adding the stock, lentils and chickpeas, and leave to simmer, covered, for 15-20 mins until the lentils are cooked and soup has thickened.
- Add the cooked cauliflower to the soup and leave for a few mins to reduce slightly. Stir in the lemon juice then serve topped with crispy onions.
- 1 head cauliflower, broken into small florets
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 1tbsp coconut oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2tsp turmeric
- 1tbsp cumin seeds
- 1tbsp garam masala
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- 2 cloves garlic
- Thumb sixed piece of ginger, grated
- 1.5ltr veg stock
- 150g red lentils
- 2 x400g cans chickpeas
- Lemon juice
- 3tbsp crispy onions, to serve
- Naan bread or roti, to serve
Top Tip for making Lentil and Chickpea Soup with Turmeric and Crispy Onions
You can add more stock to make this more soup-y or use less to make it more like a curry.
Reese Witherspoon's book club is launching a fellowship to assist underrepresented women
Reese's Book Club launched a new writer's fellowship called LitUp to help underrepresented women pursue a career in writing
By Rylee Johnston •
Amazon shoppers love Black + Decker's 'exceptional' handheld vacuum—and it's on sale
Amazon shoppers can't get enough of Black + Decker's compact vacuum for cleaning up messes and fitting in those hard-to-reach spots
By Rylee Johnston •
Prince William visited his favorite football team for this special reason
Aston Villa is giving back, and the Duke of Cambridge heard all about it
By Danielle Valente •