This chunky lentil and chickpea soup is a vibrant vegan dish that is full of warming spices. This healthy but hearty soup is a curry lover's dream, and can be paired with any of your favourite curry accompaniments. We’ve recommended serving with a bread like naan or roti, but you could also serve with poppadoms to scoop up the thick stewy soup. This lentil and chickpea soup is suitable for vegans and vegetarians, but will be loved by meat eaters too! Turmeric gives this soup its glorious yellow colour, and is also a strong antioxidant with anti-inflammatory effects.
- Heat the oven to 200C/Gas 6. Put the cauliflower on a baking tray, season, and drizzle with olive oil. Roast for 15-20 minutes until just golden.
- Meanwhile, melt the coconut oil in a large saucepan, and cook the onion for 5-10 minutes until softened and golden. Add the spices and cook until fragrant and the seeds start to pop. Add the garlic and ginger, and cook for 2 mins before adding the stock, lentils and chickpeas, and leave to simmer, covered, for 15-20 mins until the lentils are cooked and soup has thickened.
- Add the cooked cauliflower to the soup and leave for a few mins to reduce slightly. Stir in the lemon juice then serve topped with crispy onions.
- 1 head cauliflower, broken into small florets
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 1tbsp coconut oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2tsp turmeric
- 1tbsp cumin seeds
- 1tbsp garam masala
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- 2 cloves garlic
- Thumb sixed piece of ginger, grated
- 1.5ltr veg stock
- 150g red lentils
- 2 x400g cans chickpeas
- Lemon juice
- 3tbsp crispy onions, to serve
- Naan bread or roti, to serve
Top Tip for making Lentil and Chickpea Soup with Turmeric and Crispy Onions
You can add more stock to make this more soup-y or use less to make it more like a curry.
Sign up to our free daily email for the latest royal and entertainment news, interesting opinion, expert advice on styling and beauty trends, and no-nonsense guides to the health and wellness questions you want answered.
Chocolate and hazelnut roulade
This chocolate and hazelnut roulade comes with an optional Baileys Irish cream liqueur filling for an extra, festive twist
By Jen Bedloe Published
This no-bake Baileys cheesecake is so easy to make and perfect for cream liqueur lovers, plus it takes just 40 minutes to prepare
By Jess Meyer Published
Chocolate torte with Baileys cream and salted praline
Serve this rich Chocolate torte with Baileys cream and salted praline for a festive dessert that makes a popular alternative to Christmas pudding
By Jen Bedloe Published
23 immersion blender recipes—including soups, curries and sauces
Looking for some tasty immersion blender recipes? See our favorite easy ones rounded up below
By Rosie Conroy Published
Stanley Tucci shares his favourite homemade soup recipe that helps 'keep him strong' while sick
If it's good enough for Stanley Tucci, it's certainly good enough for us
By Madeline Merinuk Published
Zara Tindall’s gold drop earrings are the ultimate everyday piece and you can add them to your own collection ready for the festive season
Zara Tindall's gold drop earrings are the perfect way to add some subtle glamour to both everyday and occasionwear looks
By Emma Shacklock Published