By Jane Curran
Korean fried chicken is a street-food favourite and such a crowd pleaser. On the street or in Korean restaurants, traditional Korean fried chicken wings are double deep-fried - our version is shallow-fried and then baked to ensure a tasty crispy skin without too much hassle! Whether it's for a party buffet or a Friday night dinner in, these Korean fried chicken wings are finger food that is so worth the mess!
- sunflower oil, for shallow frying
- 40g plain flour
- 40g potato flour
- 30g cornflour
- 1tsp baking powder
- 1.5kg free-range chicken wings
- 2tsp toasted sesame seeds
- 1 bunch spring onions, finely sliced
for the sauce
- 5 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3cm piece ginger, grated
- 4tbsp gochujang paste
- 4tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 3tbsp light brown sugar
- 4tbsp maple syrup
- 1tbsp toasted sesame oil
- For the sauce, put all the ingredients into a small pan. Place over a medium-high heat until beginning to bubble; reduce the heat and cook, stirring, for 10mins, or until thickened and syrupy. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Heat the oven to 200C, Gas 6. Heat 2cm depth of sunflower oil in a wok or sauté pan until hot. Meanwhile, mix together the flours, baking powder, 1tsp black pepper and 2tsp sea salt in a bowl. Add the chicken, toss to coat, then gently shake off any excess. Fry the chicken in batches for 2-3mins on each side until very lightly browned. Remove and drain on kitchen paper.
- Transfer the chicken to a baking tray lined with baking parchment and roast for 40-50 mins until browned and crispy.
- Reheat the sauce, then gently toss it into the chicken to coat completely. Serve the sticky wings piled up with the sesame seeds and thinly sliced spring onions scattered over.
LOOKFANTASTIC Black Friday sale: These are the discounted self-care goodies I’m snapping up - because it’s more important than ever to treat ourselves
We all need to indulge in some self-care and the LOOKFANTASTIC Black Friday sale is making things a whole lot easier...
By Lizzie Thomson •
Trinny London Black Friday is here - and these are the best deals
Hello there Trinny London Black Friday, we've been expecting you
By Fiona McKim •
Royal commentator claims Prince William and Prince Harry will speak out on Princess Diana inquiry when more questions are answered
The royal brothers may be waiting for the Princess Diana inquiry to uncover new information
By Emma Shacklock •