- 175g raisins
- 175g sultanas
- 175g currants
- 100g cut mixed peel
- 125g light shredded vegetable suet
- 25g whole, blanched almonds, roughly chopped
- 300g Bramley apple, peeled, cored and finely chopped
- 175g light muscovado sugar
- Finely grated zest and juice 1 lemon
- Finely grated zest and juice 1 orange
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground mixed spice
- 2 tbsp brandy
- 2 tbsp dark rum
- You will need
- 3 x 350g jars with lids and waxed discs
Place all ingredients, except for the brandy and rum into a large china, ovenproof dish. Mix well, cover and leave overnight.
Heat oven to 130C, gas ½. Give the mincemeat another good stir and cover the dish with foil. Place on the centre shelf of the oven for 2 hours. Remove from the oven and stir again so that all the fruit is coated in the melted suet. Leave to cool and stir in the brandy and rum.
Pack the mincemeat into sterilized jars, cover with a waxed disc and seal.
Top Tip for making Homemade Mincemeat
Cooking the mincemeat very slowly in the oven allows the suet to melt and coat all the fruit. This forms a seal and prevents fermentation in the jar