Sobrasada sausage can be found online, but if you can’t get hold of any, blend some chorizo into a paste with a drizzle of olive oil in a food processor. This delicious dish makes the perfect impressive dinner party recipe thanks to all its flavour. Omar says: "This stew is not very well known in mainland Spain, however it is a typical dish in the Balearic Islands, specifically in Mallorca, where the traditional Sobrasada sausage comes from. This product is very special; if I had to describe it it would be as a chorizo pâté. Cuttlefish is soft and delicate and therefore quick and easy to cook, making this delicious dish really simple to make."
HOW TO MAKE CUTTLEFISH WITH SOBRASADA SAUSAGE OR CHORIZO
SPANISH MADE SIMPLE by Omar Allibhoy (Quadrille, £20.00) Photography: Martin Poole
- Cut the cleaned cuttlefish into small pieces about 2.5cm (1in) wide.
- Heat some olive oil in a medium-sized pan over a medium heat and saute the onion with the bay leaves. If you are using chorizo sausage, this would be the time to add it.
- Once the onion is transparent and soft, add the cuttlefish pieces, stir once and immediately pour over the wine. Cook over a high heat for at least 1 minute, until the alcohol has evaporated, then add the passata and cook for a further 3 minutes.
- Using your hands, soften the Sobrasada, if using, and add it to the stew. Keep stirring to make sure all the ingredients are well mixed and cook for a further 2 minutes, then serve.
- 1 medium to large cuttlefish, cleaned (ask your fishmonger to do this for you)
- olive oil, for frying
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 130g (4 ½ oz) Sobrasada de Mallorca or cured chorizo sausage, chopped small
- 200ml ( ¾ cup) white wine
- 150g (heaped ½ cup) tomato passata (or strained or milled canned tomatoes)
Vegan protein: alternatives to meat for a balanced plant-based diet
These tasty meat-free alternatives will keep you feeling full.
By Lauren Hughes •
Homemade brioche buns with lemon mayo prawns
Learn how to make soft buttery brioche buns at home
By Jessica Ransom •
Cheese and bacon hush puppies
Once you’ve tried one, you’ll be back for more!
By Jessica Ransom •
Pentagon turns down Trump's request for military-style farewell parade
There will be no military-style parade for Donald Trump as he vacates office on Wednesday 20 January
By Kudzai Chibaduki •
Jennifer Aniston once shared the exact lipstick she wore on "Friends"
Now THIS is a throwback!
By Lucy Abbersteen •
These are the favorite movie sex scenes couples want to recreate at home
Have you seen all of these?
By Emma Shacklock •