Sobrasada sausage can be found online, but if you can’t get hold of any, blend some chorizo into a paste with a drizzle of olive oil in a food processor. This delicious dish makes the perfect impressive dinner party recipe thanks to all its flavour. Omar says: "This stew is not very well known in mainland Spain, however it is a typical dish in the Balearic Islands, specifically in Mallorca, where the traditional Sobrasada sausage comes from. This product is very special; if I had to describe it it would be as a chorizo pâté. Cuttlefish is soft and delicate and therefore quick and easy to cook, making this delicious dish really simple to make."
HOW TO MAKE CUTTLEFISH WITH SOBRASADA SAUSAGE OR CHORIZO
SPANISH MADE SIMPLE by Omar Allibhoy (Quadrille, £20.00) Photography: Martin Poole
- 1 medium to large cuttlefish, cleaned (ask your fishmonger to do this for you)
- olive oil, for frying
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 130g (4 ½ oz) Sobrasada de Mallorca or cured chorizo sausage, chopped small
- 200ml ( ¾ cup) white wine
- 150g (heaped ½ cup) tomato passata (or strained or milled canned tomatoes)
- Cut the cleaned cuttlefish into small pieces about 2.5cm (1in) wide.
- Heat some olive oil in a medium-sized pan over a medium heat and saute the onion with the bay leaves. If you are using chorizo sausage, this would be the time to add it.
- Once the onion is transparent and soft, add the cuttlefish pieces, stir once and immediately pour over the wine. Cook over a high heat for at least 1 minute, until the alcohol has evaporated, then add the passata and cook for a further 3 minutes.
- Using your hands, soften the Sobrasada, if using, and add it to the stew. Keep stirring to make sure all the ingredients are well mixed and cook for a further 2 minutes, then serve.
Watch the emotional The Me You Can't See trailer with Prince Harry and Oprah
The duo's mental health series debuts this week on Apple TV+
By Danielle Valente •
Jennifer Lopez just teased new music—here's everything we know, so far
"Sexy summer fun" is on the way
By Rylee Johnston •
Meghan Markle's first marriage - Who was Meghan's first husband and what is he doing now?
Who was Meghan Markle's first husband and what is her ex doing now?
By Selina Maycock •