- 1 butternut squash, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 2tbsp olive oil, plus extra to drizzle
- 2 red onions, peeled and quartered
- 400g (14oz) conchiglie pasta (or rigatoni)
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- small bunch sage, leaves removed and finely sliced
- 50g (2oz) Parmesan, grated, plus extra, to top
- 35g (1¼oz) breadcrumbs
Heat the oven to 180 C, 160 C fan, 350 F, gas 4. Place the squash in a roasting tin, drizzle with oil, season and roast for 40 minutes, adding the onions to the tin after 20. Ten minutes before the end of the roasting time, cook the pasta in boiling salted water for 7 minutes, until just undercooked. Drain and coat in a little more oil.
In a gratin dish, combine the pasta, squash, onions, garlic, sage and Parmesan with seasoning and a drizzle of oil. Top with more Parmesan and the breadcrumbs. Bake on the top shelf of the oven for 10 minutes.
Make the day before then bake for 25 minutes to reheat. When draining the pasta, run under cold water, then mix with the other ingredients