- 700g (1lb 9oz) Maris Piper potatoes, peeled and cut into 5cm (2in) chunks
- 50g (2oz) butter
- 1 whole egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 2tbsp flour
- 2tsp cornflour
- ½ small Savoy cabbage, finely shredded
- Small bunch chives, finely chopped
- 15g (½oz) Gruyère cheese, finely grated
- You will need:
- Rectangular dish at least 5cm (2in) deep
- Baking sheet, lined with parchment
- 5cm (2in) cookie cutter
Place the potatoes in a pan of salted cold water. Boil and simmer until tender.
Meanwhile, melt half the butter in another pan and fry the cabbage for 5 to 10 minutes until softened and set aside.
Once cooked, drain the potatoes and allow to steam dry. Return to the pan, add the remaining butter and mash well. In a small bowl, mix the egg, yolk, flour and cornflour to a thick paste. Mix into the mashed potato with the cooked cabbage, chives and seasoning. Spread the mash in the rectangular dish so that it is 3cm (1¼in) deep. Place in the fridge for 30 minutes.
Heat the oven to 200C, 180C fan, 400F, gas 6. Using an oiled 3cm cookie cutter, cut out rounds to make little cakes. Compress the remaining mash together and repeat until all the mixture is used.
Place the cakes onto the baking sheet. Sprinkle with the Gruyère and cook for 10 minutes until golden.