This chocolate Malteser cake uses the beloved chocolates to inspire the flavour and decoration of this delicious bake. It's really rich and so moreish and as it serves 12, it makes a really good birthday cake!
Make this irresistible chocolate cake recipe for a special occasion or simply to serve up with a cup of tea when friends pop round. Either way, it'll go down a treat and you can really pile up the Maltesers on top if you want to go all out!
HOW TO MAKE CHOCOLATE MALTESER CAKE WITH MALTED CHOCOLATE FROSTING
- 300g (10oz) butter, softened
- 300g (10oz) light muscovado sugar
- 5 large, free-range eggs
- 225g (8oz) self-raising flour
- 75g (3oz) good-quality cocoa
- 3tbsp Horlicks
- 200ml (7fl oz) milk
For the frosting:
- 100g (4oz) butter
- 125g (4½oz) 70% cocoa dark chocolate, broken into chunks
- 50g (2oz) Horlicks
- 1 large, free-range egg
- 350g (12oz) icing sugar
- 3tbsp milk
- Maltesers and edible glitter, to decorate
You will need:
- 2 x 20cm (8in) sandwich tins, buttered and dusted with cocoa
- Heat the oven to 180 C, 160 C fan, 350 F, gas 4. Beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, then gradually beat in the eggs one by one, followed by the flour, cocoa, Horlicks and finally the milk. Divide between the sandwich tins and bake in the oven for 40 minutes, until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Leave the cakes to cool in the tins for 10 minutes (don't worry if they sink slightly), then tip out and cool on a wire rack. Make the frosting. Melt the butter, chocolate and Horlicks gently in the microwave, cool for 5 minutes, then beat in the egg with an electric whisk, followed by the icing sugar and milk. Leave to firm up for a few minutes.
- To assemble, place one cake on a plate top side down, then spread half the icing on top before placing on the second cake top side up and spreading the rest of the icing over the top. Decorate with Maltesers and edible glitter. This will keep in the fridge for 3 days.
This celebrity-favorite brand is having a secret sale you need to shop now
Saks Off 5th is having a secret sale on rag & bone, a celebrity-favorite of Katie Holmes, Jennifer Anniston, and Jennifer Garner
By Rylee Johnston •
Ellen DeGeneres will end her talk show after 19 seasons after toxic workplace allegations
'19 years is a long time to do anything'
By Danielle Valente •
We’re gushing over Kate Middleton’s favorite interior decor trend
Frequent video calls have allowed us to catch a sneak peek into Kate Middleton's favorite decor trends, including this spring-inspired one
By Rylee Johnston •