- 1tbsp sunflower oil
- 500g (1lb 2oz) skinless, boneless chicken tights, cut into chunks
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 large green pepper, roughly chopped
- 1tsp dried chipotle chilli flakes
- tbsp sweet smoked paprika
- 2tsp ground cumin
- tbsp tomato purée
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 100ml (4fl oz) water or stock
- pinch sugar
- 1tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 400g can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- large handful coriander, finely chopped
Heat the oil in a wide heavy-based saucepan to medium-high. Brown the chicken (you may need to do this in batches); set aside. In the same pan, add the onion and cook for 3 or 4 minutes, or until lightly browned. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute, sitrring often. Add the green pepper, chilli flakes, paprika and cumin to the pan, mix well and cook for a further minute.
Add the tomato purée, tomatoes, water or stock, sugar and Worcestershire sauce to the pan. Return the chicken to the pan and mix well. Bring to the boil then reduce to a simmer, cover and leave to cook for 1 hours. Season well and stir in the kidney beans to heat through, then stir in the chopped coriander when ready to serve. Serve with guacamole and rice.
Top Tip for making Chilli Chicken
This will keep for up to 3 days in the fridge. Any left over? Add extra canned chopped tomatoes for a chunky soup, or serve in a taco or a wrap. Great with a baked potato.