Nutrition per portion
- 12 free-range chicken joints (breast and thigh) on the bone
- 2tbsp plain flour, seasoned
- 25g (1oz) unsalted butter
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 18 small shallots
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 150ml (¼pt) sherry vinegar
- 600ml (1pt) chicken stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 450g (1lb) green seedless grapes
- 2tsp cornflour, mixed with a little cold water
- You will need
- 2.5 litre (4½pt) flameproof casserole dish
Preheat oven to 180 C, 160 C fan oven, 350 F, gas 4. Toss the chicken pieces in the seasoned flour. Next, heat the butter and oil together in a frying pan and, when really hot, fry the chicken pieces in two or three batches until well browned all over. Place the chicken in the casserole dish.
Brown the shallots in the frying pan, stir in the garlic, then put them in the casserole. Now add the vinegar, bring it to the boil, add the stock, then pour over the chicken. Tuck in the bay leaves and thyme. Cover and cook for
35 minutes, then add the grapes and cook in the oven for 15 minutes. Now transfer the chicken pieces, shallots and grapes to a warmed serving dish.
Place the casserole on the hob, bring to the boil and whisk in the cornflour, then boil rapidly for a couple of minutes until the sauce is lightly thickened. Pour the sauce over the chicken and serve immediately with boiled rice.