This mackerel and aubergine recipe is a real treat for a week night dinner or weekend feast. Mackerel is a cheap fish to buy and has a really meaty texture, while aubergine is also a fairly meaty veg.
Tahini sauce is a condiment made from ground hulled sesame seeds and when mixed with yogurt and oil it compliments this dish perfectly.
HOW TO MAKE BARBECUED MACKEREL WITH BAKED AUBERGINE AND YOGURT DRESSING
- Heat the oven to 200 C, 180 C fan, 400 F, gas 6. Score the flesh of each aubergine in a diamond pattern, being careful not to cut all the way down to the skin. Drizzle the oil over the halves, flesh side up, waiting until it has absorbed before adding a little more. Season generously, transfer to a roasting tin and roast for 30 to 40 minutes, until soft, caramelised and slightly charred.
- Meanwhile, mix the yogurt, oil and tahini and season. Rub a little oil on the mackerel and season the skin and inside the cavity. Slash the mackerel 4 times on one side, stick a slice of orange into each slash, and layer the remaining slices in the cavities. Barbecue for 10 minutes, turning once - they're done when the dorsal fins pull out easily. Divide the yogurt over the aubergines, scatter with coriander, sumac and the limes and serve with the mackerel.
- 2 aubergines, halved lengthways
- 3tbsp olive oil
- 125g (4½oz) Greek yogurt
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 1-2tsp tahini sauce
- 2 whole mackerel, gutted, with the dorsal fins left on
- ½ orange, sliced
- handful coriander, roughly chopped
- 2tsp sumac
- 2 limes, peeled, cut into wedges and finely chopped
Former co-worker defends Meghan Markle, 'I do not believe this bullying narrative for a nanosecond'
Meghan Markle's former Suits co-workers have come to her defense
By Emma Dooney •
This popular flea collar has been linked to thousands of dog deaths
A collar that protects pets from fleas and ticks has been blamed for killing thousands of dogs
By Emma Dooney •
The Dermstore Beauty Refresh Sale has arrived: here are the best deals to shop
Score limited-time deals with the promo code GLOWUP applied at checkout
By Dominique McIntee •