How often have you had a gratin in a restaurant and wished you’d be able to make it yourself? Well with this aubergine recipe it couldn’t be easier to make the classic comfort food at home.
Whether you want a warming lunch, quick dinner or a fancy side dish for the weekend, give this gratin a go. A truly indulgent dish, we like to enjoy this one with a glass of wine, in front on the TV. Comfort food at its best! It's also perfect for packing up in some tupperware and enjoying the next day. If you want to bulk out your leftovers, pair with a simple green salad.
It’s super quick to make as it only takes a little bit of prep and 15 minutes in the oven, and uses only a few ingredients so it’s relatively cheap too. Feed the whole family with this filling dish, which will feed up to five people.
This aubergine recipe does use Parma ham, but if you’d rather keep it vegetarian the meat can be easily be left out for a dish that's just as delicious! You could also try smoking the aubergine first for more flavour by coating it in oil, then placing on a grill rack with a drip tray below for around 30 minutes.
The health benefits of aubergine
Aubergine is one of our favourite superfoods. Endlessly versatile, with a delicious meaty texture, it adds a special something to meat and veggie dishes alike. It;s great source of fibre and vitamins like B1, B6 and potassium. They also contain the antioxidant nasunin, which gives the skin its deep purple colour. Nasunin helps eliminate the buildup of plaque in the blood vessels, keeping your heart and the cardiovascular system healthy.
HOW TO MAKE AUBERGINE, PARMA HAM AND MOZZARELLA GRATIN
- Place the aubergines in a sieve over a bowl and salt generously. Leave for 30 minutes, then wipe and squeeze out with a piece of kitchen roll to get rid of any excess salt and water.
- Heat the oven to 180 C, 160 C fan, 350 F, gas 4. Layer a shallow gratin dish with half the aubergine slices, then top with half the tomato sauce, half the sage leaves, 3 slices of Parma ham and half the mozzarella. Repeat, finishing with a drizzle of oil.
- Cook in the oven for 30 minutes, until the sauce is bubbling and the cheese golden. Stand for 5 minutes then serve with a green salad.
- 2 aubergines, sliced
- 700g (1lb 9oz) fresh tomato sauce
- 2tbsp fresh sage leaves, chopped
- 6 slices Parma ham
- 250g (9oz) mozzarella, sliced
Woman&Home's Vanity Edit: New makeup, skincare, and beauty products we love this week
We underscore the latest and greatest beauty heroes on the market, from whimsical collections to astrology-inspired eyeshadow. Here's what's currently in trend.
By Dominique McIntee •
International Women’s Day: shop with a cause with these brands’ charitable initiatives
To honor this global holiday, we've created a curation that reframes shopping as an effective vehicle for systemic change
By Dominique McIntee •
The EXACT Mood lighting you need to maximize your chances of getting laid
How you can easily increase your likelihood of having sex, according to a study...
By Selina Maycock •