Almond and Amaretto hot cross puddingThis is not just any hot cross bun and butter pudding, it’s boozy, nutty and fruit too.
This almond and amaretto hot cross bun pudding is a delicious grown-up twist on the childhood classic. If you want to make it suitable for the whole family, swap the amaretto for almond essence instead. This is a great dessert recipe to prevent any old hot cross buns going to waste. In fact, it’s probably better if they are a little stale as they’ll soak up the creamy milk mixture and have a whole new lease of life. Want to make your own hot cross buns for this? Try our easy hot cross bun recipe. You can prep this pudding ahead of time and could even leave it to soak over night so the hot cross buns get nice and squidgy. This pudding is the perfect end to an Easter feast.
- Heat the oven to 180C/Gas 4. Spread the butter over the hot cross buns then slice the bottoms into chunks and place in the baking dish.
- Spoon over 2tbsp of the amaretto and leave to soak. Meanwhile, whisk the eggs with the sugar.
- Gently heat the milk and cream in a pan until warm, then remove from the heat and add the vanilla extract and remaining amaretto. Gradually add the warm milk mixture to the eggs and mix.
- Transfer to a clean pan and warm to thicken, stirring constantly. Strain half over the buns in the dish, then top with the bun ‘lids’ and pour over the rest of the creamy liquid, but be careful not to cover completely. Leave to soak for at least 30 mins or overnight.
- Before baking, glaze with egg white. Bake for 25-30 mins until golden brown and set. Sprinkle over the toasted almonds and serve.
- 25g butter
- 9 mini hot cross buns, sliced in half
- 5tbsp amaretto
- 2 medium eggs, plus 1 egg yolk (reserve the white for glazing)
- 15g caster sugar
- 250ml milk
- 100ml single cream
- 2tsp vanilla extract
- 30g toasted almond akes
- you will need:
- 1-litre baking dish, greased
Top Tip for making Amaretto and almond hot cross pudding
This recipe is perfect for stale hot cross buns
This popular flea collar has been linked to thousands of dog deaths
A collar that protects pets from fleas and ticks has been blamed for killing thousands of dogs
By Emma Dooney •
The Dermstore Beauty Refresh Sale has arrived: here are the best deals to shop
Score limited-time deals with the promo code GLOWUP applied at checkout
By Dominique McIntee •
'Bachelor' host Chris Harrison says he regrets defending Rachael Kirkconnell's racism
Presenter of the Bachelor, Chris Harrison, states that he regrets defending Rachel Kirkconnell’s past racist actions
By Laura Harman •