By Rose Fooks
This almond, strawberry and cream loaf cake is a simple bake with maximum impact. When a bowl of strawberries and cream doesn’t quite cut it, whip up this tasty cake for smiling faces all round. Loaf cakes make a delightful afternoon treat as they are easy to make and slice! We've elevated the humble cake with an indulgent cream cheese frosting. After all, why should cream cheese be reserved for the likes of carrot cake? It's a delicious alternative to whipped cream or a classic buttercream icing. It's best to use British strawberries in summer when they are in season. They taste even sweeter and juicer.
- 175g unsalted butter, softened
- 175g golden caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 75g ground almonds
- 16g freeze dried strawberries crisps or pieces
- 100g self-raising flour
- 1/2tsp baking powder
- 1tsp almond extract
For the top:
- 180g cream cheese
- 40g icing sugar
- 1tsp vanilla bean paste
- 200g strawberries, cut in half
You will need:
- 20x10cm loaf tin loaf tin, lined with baking parchment
- To make the almond cake. Heat oven to 180C/Gas 4. Cream the butter and sugar until pale in colour. Mix in the eggs and ground almonds. Fold in the flour and baking powder and finally the freeze dried strawberries. Spoon into the prepared tin and bake for 40 mins or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. After 5 mins cooling in the tin transfer the cake onto a wire cooling rack.
- Once the cake is completely cool prepare the topping. With the paddle attachment beat the cream cheese, vanilla bean paste and icing sugar for 5 mins.
- Spoon onto the top of the cake and use the back of the spoon to spread. Refrigerate for 1hr to set. Before serving arrange the strawberries on top.
Top Tip for making Almond, strawberry and cream loaf cake
Add the egg a little at a time with the ground almond to avoid the mixture curdling
This sell out anti wrinkle cream now comes in a hand & neck duo
The brand behind the best selling Ageless Throat & Decolletage Creme has just released a new skincare set
By Lucy Abbersteen •
What really happened to The Serpent's Ajay?
In the BBC series Ajay is shown as Charles Sobhraj's accomplice
By Emma Shacklock •
How to watch Locked Down starring Anne Hathaway, from anywhere in the world
Never miss a new release again!
By Laura Harman •