Rhubarb and Orange Fool
Rhubarb's slightly acidic edge is tamed with orange and vanilla in this yummy fool
- 800g (1lb 12oz) rhubarb, roughly chopped
- 1 orange
- 150g (5oz) golden caster sugar
- 50ml (2fl oz) Cointreau
- 300ml (½pt) double cream
- 500ml (18fl oz)half fat crème fraiche
- 4 tbsp icing sugar
- 1 vanilla pod, seeds removed
- Almond thins, to serve
Use the finished fool as the filling for a sponge cake
If you’re in a hurry too, this is the perfect recipe to go for because it only takes 20 minutes to prep and another 15 minutes to cook – plus it can be made ahead too so it’s a really great one to have ready in the fridge so there are no panics when your hungry guests arrive.
It’s one for the grown ups as there’s a great boozy edge to this lovely pud, thanks to the inclusion of Cointreau liqueur too.
- Place the rhubarb, half the orange peeled into strips of zest, sugar and cointreau into the pan. Pour over 50ml (2fl oz) of water and cook for 5-10 mins until soft.
- Strain the rhubarb returning the syrup to the pan. Reduce by a third then discard the orange zest strips.
- Whip the cream to soft peaks and fold through the crème fraiche & icing sugar. Gently crush half the rhubarb and stir through the cream. Layer the remaining rhubarb and marbled cream mixture into glasses. Drizzle over the syrup and garnish with orange zest. Serve with almond thins.