Fresh apricots add a beautiful, summery sharpness to this bread and butter pudding recipe
- 75g (3oz) butter, softened
- 350g (12oz) sliced fruit bread (we used Warburtons Raisin Loaf with Cinnamon)
- 150g (5oz) apricot jam
- 3 whole apricots, halved, de-stoned and the halves cut into 4
- 200ml (7fl oz) each milk and double cream
- 3tbsp sugar
- 1 heaped tsp vanilla bean paste
- 2 large free-range eggs, plus 1 yolk
- handful blanched hazelnuts, roughly chopped
This recipe works very well with nectarines and peaches, which you can then scatter with toasted almonds
Heat the oven to 170 C, 150 C, 325 F, gas 3. Butter the bread; spread the jam on top. Cut into triangles and layer up in a 26cm (10in) ovenproof gratin dish. Arrange the apricots evenly around the bread slices.
Whisk with a fork to combine the milk, cream, sugar, vanilla and eggs. Pour all over the bread slices, scatter over the hazelnuts and bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until the bread is crisp and the custard has set with a slight wobble. Leave to stand for 5 minutes before serving.