If you’re entertaining a large crowd for a birthday party, a chocolate tray bake is the perfect chocolate cake recipe to choose as it stretches so far.
This easy to make recipe is so moist and moreish all your guests will be asking for seconds.
HOW TO MAKE CHOCOLATE TRAY BAKE BIRTHDAY CAKE
For the cake
- Heat the oven to 180C, 350F, gas 4.
- Mix the cocoa with the boiling water. Stir in the bicarbonate of soda and set aside to cool.
- Whisk the eggs, sugar, oil and vanilla in a mixing bowl until blended. Stir in the flour and the cocoa mixture until smooth.
- Pour into the tin and bake for 30-40 minutes until risen and firm to the touch. Cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
For the icing
- Melt the butter and golden syrup together with 1 tbsp water,. Beat in the icing sugar, to make a smooth icing. Add a little extra boiling water if needed. Spread over the cool cake.
- Scatter with the white chocolate chips, sprinkles and silver balls and leave to set.
For the cake:
- 75 g (3oz) cocoa powder
- 200 ml (7floz) boiling water
- 3/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 4 eggs
- 375 g (13oz) dark muscovado sugar
- 175 ml (6floz) sunflower oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 275 g (10oz) self-raising flour
For the decoration:
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 50g (2oz) butter
- 2 tbsp golden syrup
- 300g (10oz) unrefined golden icing sugar
- Chocolate stars (we used Dr Oetker)
- Edible gold star glitter (Sainsbury’s)
you will need
- 23cm x 30cmx 5cm deep 9" x 12"x 2 in deep baking tin or roasting tin greased and lined
Christmas Cake Tray Bake
For a quick and easy alternative to Christmas cake, try out this Christmas Cake Tray Bake. It's packed with all the delicious fruit you'd expect and is so quick!
By Samuel Goldsmith • Published
Burnt Basque Cheesecake with Mulberry sauce
Once we tried our first slice of burnt Basque cheesecake from San Sebastian, we knew it was love! We’ve paired ours with some seasonal berries for good measure.
By Rose Fooks • Published
Christmas pudding cheesecake
This Christmas pudding cheesecake makes an excellent pud for the Boxing Day buffet
By Rose Fooks • Published
Snow Moon—name's origins and the planet whose shadow period might cause problems
Snow Moon—February full moon meaning and why you'd better keep an eye one troublesome planet's retrograde shadow period this lunar cycle
By Aoife Hanna • Published
Mercury Retrograde shadow period 2022 will happen EIGHT times so here's what to look out for
Mercury retrograde shadow period 2022—the period before and after this year's FOUR Mercury retrogrades and what to look out for
By Rylee Johnston • Published
Carrie and...who?! And Just Like That fans shocked by potential new romance
And Just Like That fans are shocked as they pick up between a potential new romance that may be blossoming between Carrie and...
By Laura Harman • Published