- 375g (13oz) unsalted butter
- 375g (13oz) self-raising flour
- 2tsp ground cinnamon
- 2tsp mixed spice
- 350g (12oz) brown sugar
- 6 large free-range eggs
- 600g (1lb 5oz) cooked beetroot, coarsely grated
- ground cinnamon, to decorate
- for the mascarpone filling
- 250g tub mascarpone cheese
- 150ml (¼pt) double cream
- 4tbsp icing sugar, sifted
- you will need
- 2 x 23cm (9in) round cake tins, oiled and bases lined with baking parchment
Heat the oven to 180 C, 160 C fan, 350 F, gas 4. In a pan, melt the butter and leave it to cool. Sift the flour and spices into a large bowl then stir through the sugar. In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs and cooled butter, mix in the grated beetroot and then add this to the dry ingredients.
Stir until well combined, spoon into the cake tins and bake for 40 to 50 minutes, until a skewer comes out clean. Leave to cool completely in the tins.
To make the mascarpone icing, beat all the ingredients until smooth. Spread over both cake layers before sandwiching them together and dusting the top with the ground cinnamon.