By Jane Curran
Millionaire's shortbread is exactly the kind of baking project we like - decadent. With crisp butter shortbread, smooth, rich caramel, a salty kick and silky dark chocolate it ticks all the sweet treat boxes. There are three different processes to make in order to assemble your tray bake but it's well worth the effort, and it keeps well in an airtight tin for a few days, too, so will see you through the week.
HOW TO MAKE MILLIONAIRES SHORTBREAD
- You will need a square or rectangular, shallow tin – 22x22cm or 18x26cm.
- Oil then line the tin with a large piece of baking parchment, leaving a good overlap on all 4 sides. This will make it easy to take out the finished shortbread.
- Heat the oven to 150C fan, gas 3. Whizz up 100g of the butter, sugar and flour in a food processor then knead it together with your hands. Push it into the base of the tin – using your knuckles makes it easier to push down.
- Put into the oven then after 5 minutes reduce the heat to 130C fan, gas 2 and bake for about 30 minutes until pale brown. Set the tray onto a cooling rack.
- To make the caramel, melt the remaining butter in a medium to large pan, caster sugar, salt, golden syrup and condensed milk over a gentle heat. Whisk with a balloon whisk until the sugar has melted, then increase the heat to medium and keep whisking until you have a golden caramel. Pour over the shortbread and leave to set.Once the caramel has set, chop the chocolate into small pieces then meltin a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water. Pour over the caramel and leave in a cool place to set solid, preferably not the fridge. Remove by gently lifting the paper. Cut into small squares.
- 200g dark chocolate, 70% cocoa solids
- 250g butter
- 100g sugar
- 150g plain flour
- 200g condensed milk
- 50g caster sugar
- 3 tbsp golden syrup
- 1 tsp sea salt
Vegan protein: alternatives to meat for a balanced plant-based diet
These tasty meat-free alternatives will keep you feeling full.
By Lauren Hughes •
Homemade brioche buns with lemon mayo prawns
Learn how to make soft buttery brioche buns at home
By Jessica Ransom •
Cheese and bacon hush puppies
Once you’ve tried one, you’ll be back for more!
By Jessica Ransom •
How to copy Jenna Coleman's 70s style in The Serpent
From the kohl liner to the fringe, there's little about Jenna Coleman's 70s style that we wouldn't want to recreate.
By Fiona Embleton •
Pentagon turns down Trump's request for military-style farewell parade
There will be no military-style parade for Donald Trump as he vacates office on Wednesday 20 January
By Kudzai Chibaduki •
Jennifer Aniston once shared the exact lipstick she wore on "Friends"
Now THIS is a throwback!
By Lucy Abbersteen •