- 3tbsp flavourless oil, such as groundnut
- 2 onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 small green chilli, deseeded and chopped
- 5cm (2in) piece fresh root ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1/2tsp chilli powder
- 1tsp each turmeric and ground coriander
- 12 skinless chicken thighs, cut into chunks
- 4 large tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 400ml (14fl oz) coconut cream
- 12 curry leaves
- squeezed lemon juice
- 2tbsp coriander leaves, roughly chopped
Heat the oil in a saucepan then add the onions, chilli, ginger and garlic. Cook over a low heat for 5 minutes, then add the chilli powder and spices. Cook for 1 or 2 minutes then add the chicken. Cook for a few minutes.
Add the tomatoes and coconut cream, and bring to the boil. Simmer gently for 45 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and tender.
Fry the curry leaves in a little oil and add. Finally add the lemon juice and a pinch of salt, and stir in the coriander before serving.