By Rose Fooks
Kaiserschmarrn is a sweet Austrian dessert, named after the country's emperor Franz Joseph I.
This Kaiserschmarrn recipe is easy to follow and perfect for those looking to whip up the traditional Austrian pancakes at home. Kaiserschmarrn are usually served as a dessert accompanied by plumb or apple compote but they’re also ideal for an indulgent brunch.
Austria is renowned for rich desserts and fabulous cakes, but this dessert is such a doddle to make! With the crunchy caramelised sugar and the flecks of plump raisins running through a buttery batter, Kaiserschmarrn will soon become a firm pancake favourite of yours too…
Looking for more creative pancake-inspired recipes? Take a look at this one for crepe cake with strawberry cream.
- 30g butter
- 2 eggs, separated
- 2tbsp caster sugar
- 120ml milk
- 85g plain flour
- 1tbsp raisins
- apricot or plumb compote
- handful of fresh raspberries
- Icing sugar
You will also need:
- 25cm cast iron / ovenproof skillet
- Preheat the oven to 200Cfan/Gas7. Melt half the butter in the skillet.
- Whisk the egg yolk with half the sugar until pale in colour, add the milk and flour with a pinch of salt and mix to a smooth paste. Meanwhile whisk the egg whites to firm peaks then fold half at a time into the egg yolk mixture. Pour into the skillet over the melted butter and sprinkle the raisins over the top, bake for 15 mins.
- Tip the pancake out onto a board and cut into diamond shapes. Over a medium heat melt the remainder of the sugar in the skillet, once turned a caramel colour mix in the remaining butter, then toss the pancake pieces in the caramel until coated. Put on a plate and serve with compote and fresh berries, dust with icing sugar.
Top Tip for making Kaiserschmarrn
If you don’t have a oven proof frying pan you could also make this is a small baking tray
Cheese and bacon hush puppies
Once you’ve tried one, you’ll be back for more!
By Jessica Ransom •
Scallops with samphire and lemon
These delicious scallops with samphire and lemon make an impressive starter
By Elisa Roche •
Homemade brioche buns with lemon mayo prawns
Learn how to make soft buttery brioche buns at home
By Jessica Ransom •
Duchess of Cornwall never had any “ambition” to become Prince Charles' wife
Royal author claims she hadn't wanted to "advance herself" by marrying the Prince of Wales
By Emma Shacklock •
This Kamala Harris "I'm Speaking" lipstick was inspired by her debate moment
THAT seminal debate moment has inspired a Kamala Harris "I'm Speaking" lipstick collection. Here's everything you need to know...
By Fiona Embleton •
Royal Family homes with secret rooms revealed
From Windsor Castle to Buckingham Palace, the Royal Family residencies that have a secret side...
By Selina Maycock •