For a wonderful spring cake that makes a beautiful Easter cake recipe, try this beautiful cake with a combination of cardamom, rose and rhubarb - everyone will love it!
HOW TO MAKE CARDAMOM, ROSE AND RHUBARB CAKE
- 250g softened butter or soft margarine
- 250g caster sugar mixed with 1 tsp freshly ground cardamom
- 4 large eggs
- 250g self-raising flour
- Edible rose or geranium petals, to decorate
For the rose filling:
- 300ml double cream
- 3 drops of rose essence
- 50g icing sugar, sifted
- 200g rhubarb jam
For the glacé icing:
- 150g icing sugar warm water, to mix
You will need:
- 2 x 20cm round sandwich tins
- Preheat the oven to 190ºC/fan 170ºC/gas mark 5. Grease and line the two sandwich tins.
- Beat the butter and sugar using a wooden spoon or electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition, and adding a tablespoon of the flour with the final egg to help prevent curdling. Sift in the remaining flour and fold in with a large metal spoon until thoroughly combined.
- Divide the mixture between the cake tins, spreading it evenly. Bake in the oven for 20–25 minutes, until firm to the touch. Turn the sponges out on to a wire rack to cool completely
- When the cakes are cool, make the filling. Whip the cream with the rose essence and icing sugar until thick. Spread the jam over the base of one sponge, then cover with the whipped cream and place the other sponge on top.
- Make the glacé icing by sifting the icing sugar into a bowl and then gradually add about 1–1½ tablespoons of warm water until you have a runny mixture. Pour the icing over the cake and leave to set before decorating with flowers or petals.
Burnt Basque Cheesecake with Mulberry sauce
Once we tried our first slice of burnt Basque cheesecake from San Sebastian, we knew it was love! We’ve paired ours with some seasonal berries for good measure.
By Rose Fooks •
Christmas pudding cheesecake
This Christmas pudding cheesecake makes an excellent pud for the Boxing Day buffet
By Rose Fooks •
Friands with gooseberry and hazelnut
These friands with gooseberry and hazelnut make the most of the fruit's short season
By Samuel Goldsmith •
Willie Garson scene in Sex and the City reboot trailer has fans in tears
Willie Garson, who played Stanford on Sex and the City, died in September
By Emma Dooney •
Princess Diana features in film narrated by Prince Harry on World AIDS Day
Princess Diana in film narrated by Prince Harry as he speaks on her behalf in letter raising awareness on World AIDS Day
By Aoife Hanna •
Meghan Markle's lawyer hits back back at one of public's biggest 'Sussexit' criticisms insisting they never 'took a vow of silence'
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry never intended to take a 'vow of silence' after leaving the UK, their lawyer has insisted
By Caitlin Elliott •