Our bean soup is packed with protein, so easy to make, and really tasty. The soup can be frozen, simply adding the greens and egg after defrosting, before serving. This bean soup with lentils and poached eggs is a hearty and filling vegetarian dish that is a perfect warming lunch for winter weekdays. Serve this super soup with some crusty bread for a simple but satisfying meal. You can make a big batch of the soup either to feed a crowd, or to freeze in portions, before adding the finishing touches.
- Heat the oil in a large pan and sweat the onions and celery for 10 mins. Add the garlic and cook for a couple of mins then add the stock, tomatoes and rosemary. Bring to the boil then simmer for 10 mins. Now add the beans. Microwave the lentils, according to packet instructions, for a few mins then add them too. Keep the soup simmering while you poach the eggs.
- Bring a sauté pan of water to the boil then turn it down to a very low simmer. Break the eggs one by one into a ramekin and gently tip into the water. Put on the lid and cook for 3 mins. Add the greens to the soup and top each bowl with a poached egg and some rosemary, if using.
- 1tbsp oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1 stick celery, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 3 sprigs rosemary, finely chopped
- 400g can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 200g can flageolet beans
- 250g pack cooked puy lentils
- 100g spring greens or sprout tops, shredded
- 4 free-range eggs
- fresh rosemary sprigs, to serve (optional)
Chocolate and hazelnut roulade
This chocolate and hazelnut roulade comes with an optional Baileys Irish cream liqueur filling for an extra, festive twist
By Jen Bedloe • Published
This no-bake Baileys cheesecake is so easy to make and perfect for cream liqueur lovers, plus it takes just 40 minutes to prepare
By Jess Meyer • Published
Chocolate torte with Baileys cream and salted praline
Serve this rich Chocolate torte with Baileys cream and salted praline for a festive dessert that makes a popular alternative to Christmas pudding
By Jen Bedloe • Published
New York Fashion Week proved that this spring's unlikely fashion trend is... eggs
Eggs appeared to be an unexpected theme at New York Fashion Week
By Madeline Merinuk • Published
King Charles' stoic reaction to egg-throwing incident in York revealed by lipreader
A protestor was arrested after eggs were thrown at King Charles III and Camilla, the Queen Consort during their visit to York on Wednesday
By Emma Dooney • Published
January Jones froze her eggs after having her son for this very smart reason
After giving birth to her son Xander, who is now 11 years old, January Jones decided to freeze her eggs to 'alleviate any pressure on myself'
By Anna Rahmanan • Published