Prepare your lingerie drawer for summer with a flattering t-shirt bra that smoothes, slims and most importantly, fits!
Summer is around the corner which means lighter layers and short-sleeved tees are the foundation of our warm weather wardrobes. Fitted tops are a great base for your outfit, but finding the right t-shirt bra to wear underneath is essential. Super-smooth lines with no overspill will give you a seamless silhouette, while underwiring and the right amount of padding should give you a natural (not synthetic) lift.
It’s often a style that’s overlooked, but the classic T-shirt bra is probably the most important buy in your underwear drawer. While beautiful designs have their place, T-shirt bras are the style that you’ll be wearing most often, and subsequently washing – meaning you need a great fit and good quality that isn’t going to fall apart at first meeting with the washing machine!
To steer you in the right direction when you hit the lingerie department, we’ve compiled our top tips for buying the right t-shirt bra, followed by five best buys from across the high street.
1. The bra band should be horizontal around your torso. You’ll be conscious of it, but it shouldn’t be uncomfortably tight.
2. Remember the tightness of your straps is important but straps only account for 20% of support.
3. Underwiring will give lift but the wiring should sit flat against your body.
4. The bridge (fabric between the cups) should also sit flat and be the appropriate width for your cleavage.
5. No flesh overspill should be visible from the cups.
6. Handwashing your bra will increase its life span. Yes, it is a bit laborious but invest in Rigby & Peller’s lingerie wash ‘Soak‘ which will do the work for you.
7. You can still choose a bra with pretty straps or bridge detail – even if the cups aren’t lacy.
Click through to discover our favourite t-shirt bras to buy this summer…
A ‘second skin’ is what Triumph’s Body Make-up bra offers and that’s exactly what we’re looking for when it comes to the perfect t-shirt bra. Extra flat straps and sculpted cups means the bra will sit snugly against your skin, appearing invisible beneath clothes.
Proof that you can choose a flattering design and shade when it comes to buying your t-shirt bra, Rigby & Peller has delivered this season with an update on the ultra comfortable Avero balcony bra. Now in navy blue check or a feminine pink, the daisy design straps and floral bridge detail makes this bra special, not just functional.
Bonds’ push-up cotton bra won’t dig in or rise up like some t-shirt bras can, instead expect a comfortable fit with soft cotton fabric and a subtle lift to your cleavage. If your bra size tends to fluctuate then the new ‘quick fit’ sizing will suit – just check with a lingerie expert in store if you’re unsure.
Delicate straps and a pretty lace band keep Simone Perele’s Celeste bra femine, while the cups are smooth so your fitted t-shirt will cling comfortably on top.
Remember a t-shirt bra doesn’t have to be nude or white – look to Chantelle’s black Vendome bra featuring multi-way straps to help slim and lift.