The Complete Aga Cookbook by Mary Berry and Lucy Young is out now.
Images are © Georgia Glynn Smith
- 6 good tbsp golden syrup
- 175g self-raising flour
- 50g caster sugar
- 75g shredded vegetable suet
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- about 150ml milk
You will need:
- a 1.1 litre (2 pint) pudding basin, greased
- Measure the golden syrup into the bottom of a greased 1.1 litre pudding basin.
- Mix the flour, sugar and suet together in a mixing bowl. Add the vanilla extract and enough milk to bind to a soft dough. Pour into the basin on top of the syrup. Cover with greaseproof paper and seal the top with a foil lid.
- Put the basin in a stainless steel saucepan with a tight-fitting lid. Fill with enough water to come halfway up the basin and cook on the hob for about 3½ hours, occasionally checking on the level of the water in the pan, topping up when needed with more boiling water.
- OR to cook with an Aga, bring to the boil on the boiling plate for about 8 minutes. Transfer the pan, water and basin to the floor of the simmering oven and cook for about 3½ hours until the pudding is nicely risen and firm to the touch.
- Turn the pudding upside down on to a plate so that all the syrup runs down the sides. Serve warm with custard and more warm golden syrup, if liked.
Top Tip for making Mary Berry's Treacle Pudding
The pudding can be prepared a day ahead.
This fire pit deal is all you need if you're heading into Tier 3
A Cyber Monday fire pit deal will mean you stay both snug and smug this winter, especially if your garden is your sanctuary
By Faye M Smith •
Princess Diana’s style is legendary but it's her youthful makeup hack we'll be copying
The secret behind Princess Diana's style and flawless skin, according to her Royal makeup artist
By Fiona Embleton •
Best Cyber Monday deals: early discounts to snap up now
Looking for the best Cyber Monday deals? Here are the brilliant savings you can shop right now.
By Rachael Martin •