This crab noodle salad is a great summer dish and brilliant as a dinner party starter too
- 100g (4oz) soba noodles
- a little sesame oil
- 50g (2oz) soya beans (Bird’s Eye, from the freezer section)
- ½ cucumber, peeled, deseeded and cut into batons
- 1 green papaya or green mango*, peeled and cut into batons
- 225g (8oz) fresh white crab meat (or king prawns)
- fresh coriander and lime wedges, to serve
- 2 to 3 fat chillies**, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1tbsp sugar
- 1tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1tbsp Thai fish sauce
- 3tbsp groundnut or sunflower oil
*Green papaya and mango are available in Oriental grocers. You can substitute ripe mango, but the taste will be much sweeter. **Fat chillies are less fiery than their bird’s eye counterpart. Two will give you a mildly hot dressing, which you need with the crab.
Mix all the ingredients for the chilli dressing in a bowl.
Cook the soba noodles in boiling water for about 6 minutes, then drain and refresh under cold water. Toss in a little sesame oil to prevent sticking, then cover and place in the fridge until chilled.
Cook the soya beans in boiling water for a few minutes, then drain and refresh. When the noodles are chilled, pour some of the chilli dressing over and mix the cucumber, papaya and soya beans through.
To serve, divide the noodle salad between 2 plates, then top with the crab or prawns. Drizzle over a little more dressing, then garnish with fresh coriander and lime wedges.
Get the best entertainment news, recipes, fashion, beauty and wellbeing advice for you. For FREE.Sign up