Should You Stop Drinking Sparkling Water Immediately?

sparkling water
sparkling water
(Image credit: Rex Features (Shutterstock))

Still or sparkling? It's a common question, with many of us enjoying the refreshing fizz of a glass of sparkling water as an alternative to a glass of something alcoholic at dinner.

However, according to a dentist at London's Harley Street, perhaps we shouldn't be so quick to turn to sparkling water as a ‘healthy' choice.

The dentist in question, Adam Thorne, told the Daily Mail that one of the side-effects of drinking fizzy water could include painful dental problems.

"Most people have no idea that fizzy water is extremely acidic," Thorne explained. "It's pH3 on the acidity scale. The bubbles erode your tooth enamel - and over time this causes painful, yellow cracked teeth."

This is because the ‘fizz' in sparkling water is created by adding carbon dioxide to still water under pressure, meaning that the water will contain weak carbonic acid.

However, before you rush to the dentist for a check-up following a glass of San Pelegrino Sparkling, it appears that not everyone shares Thorne's concerns.

Edmond R. Hewlett a spokesperson for the American Dental Association, explained that it is the flavouring of most common fizzy drinks that increases the acidity of them - so simple sparkling water shouldn't be a danger to your tooth enamel. So while a diet coke or lemonade can cause erosion to your tooth enamel, sparkling water shouldn't pose too much of a threat.

"Laboratory studies have shown that (unflavored) waters, be they still or sparkling, have very low erosive potential and do not pose a risk to tooth enamel" he explained.

So, is sparkling water bad for teeth? Well, according to Hewlett, perhaps not. However, as with any aspect of a daily diet and the food we consume, it's all about everything in moderation!