By Elisa Roche
Scallops look elegant and impressive but they are pleasingly speedy and easy to prepare.
Scallops are always the starting point of the best 30 minute suppers. They cook so quickly and are easy to prepare. You can find them on most fish counters in supermarkets or at your local fishmonger. In this recipe we have paired them with a salty fatty mixture of bacon and black pudding then cooked this all together in the shell. The scallops are served with blanched samphire.Samphire is a variety of succulent from the parsley family and has a fresh and flavour. If you cannot get your hands on it simply serve this with the same quantity of blanched asparagus. For further seafood inspiration, step this way.
- Remove the tough, woody stems from the samphire and rinse well. Boil for 3 mins then plunge into iced water.
- Meanwhile, in a hot, dry pan, fry the bacon until crispy. Set aside on kitchen towel. Break into small crispy pieces.
- In the same pan, fry the black pudding cubes until crispy. Set aside.
- Heat a barbecue or grill. Put each scallop back into its shell with ½tsp butter and seasoning.
- Cook for 4 mins until lightly charring at the edges. Meanwhile, mix the capers, lemon juice, bacon and black pudding, then spoon a little onto each scallop. Cook for a further 1 min and serve immediately on top of the samphire. Perfect with chilli jam or green tabasco.
- 150g samphire
- 2 rashers unsmoked, rindless bacon
- 100g black pudding, cut into cubes
- 6 scallops, cleaned (keep the shells)
- 3tsp butter
- 20g capers
- juice of 1 lemon
Top Tip for making Scallops with samphire and lemon
If you can’t get fresh shell-on scallops, use Iceland’s brilliant frozen ones and cook them in a muffin tray.
Princess Anne told to ‘de-clutter’ her home after she shares rare look inside her home
Princess Anne told to ‘de-clutter’ her home after she shares rare view with fans
By Selina Maycock •
How you drink your coffee affects your skin, say dermatologists
Could your coffee be having a negative effect on your skin?
By Fiona Embleton •
Why Prince William's birthday this year will mark such an important milestone this year - and it affects us all
Prince William's birthday this year is likely to see the country celebrating like never before
By Emma Dooney •