Our pork kebabs with chorizo are the perfect dish for barbecue season, but they are equally delicious when simply cooked under the grill. These juicy meat kebabs have a kick of spice and smokiness from the chorizo. We’ve served our pork kebabs with houmous and flatbreads for a simple summer meal. It’s so easy to take shop bought houmus and elevate it into something special. We’ve swirled a pepper puree through our hummus, which pairs with the pork kebabs so well. For the best results, marinate these pork kebabs the day before cooking. This makes the meat extra tender and adds such great flavour.
- 1kg pork tenderloin
- 190g cooking chorizo
- 2 red onions, cut into wedges
- 2 red peppers, cut into chunks
- 1 roasted red pepper (from a jar is fine)
- 250g houmous
- 80g toasted pine nuts
- 6-8 flatbreads, to serve
For the marinade
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- zest of 1 lemon
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 1tbsp each smoked paprika, chilli flakes and red wine vinegar
You will need
- metal or wooden skewers (soaked if wooden)
- Cut the pork into 2-3cm chunks, then put the chunks in a large bowl with the marinade ingredients and mix together well. Leave to marinate for at least 45 mins, or overnight is best.
- Heat the grill to medium/high. Slice the chorizo into 1cm chunks, then thread the chorizo, pork, onions and peppers onto skewers. Grill for 10 mins, flip them over and grill for another 10 mins until cooked through and slightly charred.
- Meanwhile, blitz the roasted pepper to a fine purée. Swirl the purée through the houmous, top with pine nuts, a glug of olive oil and serve with the flatbreads.
Jane Curran is a freelance food editor, stylist, writer and consultant based in Cape Town. Former food director of TI Media & woman&home. All about food, wine (dipWSET), gardening and the Arsenal.
Christmas Cake Tray Bake
For a quick and easy alternative to Christmas cake, try out this Christmas Cake Tray Bake. It's packed with all the delicious fruit you'd expect and is so quick!
By Samuel Goldsmith • Published
Burnt Basque Cheesecake with Mulberry sauce
Once we tried our first slice of burnt Basque cheesecake from San Sebastian, we knew it was love! We’ve paired ours with some seasonal berries for good measure.
By Rose Fooks • Published
Christmas pudding cheesecake
This Christmas pudding cheesecake makes an excellent pud for the Boxing Day buffet
By Rose Fooks • Published
The Queen's heartbreaking joke to national treasure Sir David Attenborough
The Queen's heartbreaking joke to national treasure Sir David Attenborough shows despite gloomy topics—she's always got a sense of humor
By Aoife Hanna • Published
11 inspirational poetry quotes that will get you thinking
These inspirational poetry quotes from the likes of William Shakespeare, Emily Dickinson, and Maya Angelou pack a powerful punch
By Arielle Tchiprout • Published
The strange reason this expert wants you to continue wearing masks
Masks can help save you from infection and disease, but can wearing a face mask also help you get a date? This study suggests so...
By Laura Harman • Published