By Jane Curran published
This dinner party recipe is one that will really impress your guests - duck is such a rich meat and is perfect when paired with pancetta.
HOW TO MAKE DUCK CONFIT WITH PANCETTA LENTILS
For the duck confit:
- 4 duck legs
- 150g coarse sea salt
- 1 head of garlic, separated into cloves
- 8 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 dried bay leaves, crumbled
- 4tbsp brandy
- 500-700g duck fat
For the pancetta lentils:
- 150g cubed pancetta
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 onions, chopped
- 250g cooked Puy lentils
- 1 chicken stock pot (such as Knorr)
- flat-leaf parsley to serve
- Rub the duck legs with the salt, plenty of black pepper, one crushed garlic clove, half the thyme and the bay leaves. Pack tightly into a dish, skin side down, then add the brandy. Cover with cling film and leave to marinate in the fridge for 24 hours.
- Heat the oven to 150C, gas 2. Scrape the marinade off the duck legs. Heat the duck or goose fat in a heavy, ovenproof casserole dish, then add the duck, the remaining garlic cloves and the remaining thyme. The duck legs should be completely submerged in the melted fat. Cover then cook in the oven for 3 hours. Remove from the oven and allow to cool uncovered.
- At this point, you can freeze the duck legs for up to 3 months. Alternatively, strain the fat, pack the duck legs tightly into a dish then pour over the fat. This acts to preserve it for up to 1 month in the fridge.
- When you’re ready to serve, take the duck out of the fat or thaw it overnight in the fridge. Heat the oven to 200C, gas 6. Put the duck on a roasting tin and cook for about 40 minutes until piping hot and the skin is brown and crispy.
- For the lentils, cook the cubed pancetta until lightly browned. Add 2 carrots, peeled and diced, and 2 onions, chopped, for 10 minutes, until softened. Add 250g cooked Puy lentils,1 chicken stock pot (such as Knorr) and 150ml water. Bring to the boil then simmer for 10 minutes, stir in some chopped flat-leaf parsley and serve with the duck.
Jane Curran is a freelance food editor, stylist, writer and consultant based in Cape Town. Former food director of TI Media & woman&home. All about food, wine (dipWSET), gardening and the Arsenal.
Christmas Cake Tray Bake
For a quick and easy alternative to Christmas cake, try out this Christmas Cake Tray Bake. It's packed with all the delicious fruit you'd expect and is so quick!
By Samuel Goldsmith • Published
Burnt Basque Cheesecake with Mulberry sauce
Once we tried our first slice of burnt Basque cheesecake from San Sebastian, we knew it was love! We’ve paired ours with some seasonal berries for good measure.
By Rose Fooks • Published
Christmas pudding cheesecake
This Christmas pudding cheesecake makes an excellent pud for the Boxing Day buffet
By Rose Fooks • Published
How to watch Full House online from anywhere in the world
In the mood for Full House reruns? Here’s how to watch them online...
By Anna Rahmanan • Published
Kate Middleton carries ‘heavy burden’ after ‘natural streamlining’ of Royal Family
Kate Middleton has been supporting the Queen at one of the most challenging times of her life...
By Emma Shacklock • Published
Queen confirms Prince Andrew has been stripped of military honors and his HRH title in new statement
The Queen has shared a statement to say that Prince Andrew's 'military affiliations and Royal patronages' have been returned to her, confirming he will no longer use a HRH title
By Caitlin Elliott • Published