The sweet and nutty butternut squash goes fantastically together with the woody shiitake mushrooms. In addition to the delicate mushrooms, this soup has lots of warming spices, such as cinnamon and cayenne pepper, which makes this a great soup to enjoy on a cold day. This butternut squash recipe serves 6-8 people, and you can easily freeze any leftover soup. Serve together with freshly baked rye soda bread.
Looking for more cooking inspiration? Have a look at our other delicious soup recipes.
HOW TO MAKE BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP WITH SHIITAKE MUSHROOMS AND RYE SODA BREAD
- Heat half the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Cook the onion for 3 or 4 minutes, or until just starting to brown. Add the garlic, cayenne pepper, cinnamon and thyme, and cook for another 1 or 2 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the squash and stock, bring to the boil then leave to simmer for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the squash is tender. Pour in the milk and season well, remove from the heat and blend until smooth. Keep warm until ready to serve.
- Heat the remaining oil in a small, heavy-based frying pan to medium high. Sauté the mushrooms for 3 to 4 minutes, or until crispy. Divide the mushrooms between each bowl of soup as a topping.
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, roughly chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1tsp cayenne pepper
- 1tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 1.8kg (4lb) butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and roughly chopped
- 700ml (1¼pt) vegetable or chicken stock
- 100ml (4fl oz) milk
- 125g (4½oz) shiitake mushrooms
Jane Curran is a freelance food editor, stylist, writer and consultant based in Cape Town. Former food director of TI Media & woman&home. All about food, wine (dipWSET), gardening and the Arsenal.
Christmas Cake Tray Bake
For a quick and easy alternative to Christmas cake, try out this Christmas Cake Tray Bake. It's packed with all the delicious fruit you'd expect and is so quick!
By Samuel Goldsmith • Published
Burnt Basque Cheesecake with Mulberry sauce
Once we tried our first slice of burnt Basque cheesecake from San Sebastian, we knew it was love! We’ve paired ours with some seasonal berries for good measure.
By Rose Fooks • Published
Christmas pudding cheesecake
This Christmas pudding cheesecake makes an excellent pud for the Boxing Day buffet
By Rose Fooks • Published
Working from home tips: simple ways to make sure you're still productive
These simple working from home tips are easy to implement and should make your daily tasks a lot easier to achieve
By Amy Hunt • Published
February new moon 2022—new moon in Aquarius says it's time to look at the bigger picture
February new moon 2022 in Aquarius says it’s time to start working on the vision board—here's what that means for your star sign
By Maria Sofia Marmanides • Published
The Gilded Age—everything we know about HBO’s new drama from Downton Abbey creator Julian Fellowes
HBO’s The Gilded Age boasts an A-list cast including Cynthia Nixon, Christine Baranski, and Meryl Streep’s daughter, Louisa Jacobson
By Jack Slater • Published