What’s more warming on a winter’s evening then a lovely stew? This lamb recipe is bursting with flavours that will really warm you up when the weather is frightful.
With plenty of spice and also a lovely fruity element to this dish thanks to the dried apricots and mango, there’s a real mix of textures in this dish you’ll want to make again and again.
HOW TO MAKE WINTER FRUITY LAMB STEW
- 700g (1lb 9oz) lean leg of lamb, cubed
- 1tsp ground cumin
- 1tsp ground coriander
- ½tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 red onions, finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 Bramley apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 50g (2oz) dried apricots, chopped
- 50g (2oz) dried mango
- 200g (7oz) Puy lentils
- 400ml (14fl oz) vegetable stock
- 2tsp pomegranate molasses or balsamic vinegar
- fresh thyme leaves
- In a non-stick frying pan, brown the lamb in two batches in a little olive oil. At the end of the second batch, add the ground spices and toss well. Transfer to a lidded casserole dish and add a little cold water to the frying pan to deglaze, i.e. remove any residue and spices. Add to the casserole. Add a touch more olive oil and cook the onions until tender. Add the garlic and fry for a minute, then add to the meat.
- Add the fruit and 600ml (1pt) water to the meat. Bring to the boil, then simmer gently, covered, until tender, around 1 hour 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the lentils in the stock. Once tender, stir through the pomegranate molasses and a little olive oil. Just before serving, stir some fresh thyme through the casserole and serve with the lentils.
Christmas Cake Tray Bake
For a quick and easy alternative to Christmas cake, try out this Christmas Cake Tray Bake. It's packed with all the delicious fruit you'd expect and is so quick!
By Samuel Goldsmith • Published
Burnt Basque Cheesecake with Mulberry sauce
Once we tried our first slice of burnt Basque cheesecake from San Sebastian, we knew it was love! We’ve paired ours with some seasonal berries for good measure.
By Rose Fooks • Published
Christmas pudding cheesecake
This Christmas pudding cheesecake makes an excellent pud for the Boxing Day buffet
By Rose Fooks • Published
Working from home tips: how to make sure you're still productive
These simple working from home tips are easy to implement and should make your daily tasks a lot easier to achieve
By Amy Hunt • Published
February new moon 2022—new moon in Aquarius says it's time to look at the bigger picture
February new moon 2022 in Aquarius says it’s time to start working on the vision board—here's what that means for your star sign
By Maria Sofia Marmanides • Published
The Gilded Age—everything we know about HBO’s new drama from Downton Abbey creator Julian Fellowes
HBO’s The Gilded Age boasts an A-list cast including Cynthia Nixon, Christine Baranski, and Meryl Streep’s daughter, Louisa Jacobson
By Jack Slater • Published