By Woman and Home published
This classic dessert recipe is one you’ll want to keep coming back to and it makes a perfect Swiss roll the whole family will enjoy. Triple chocolate Swiss roll also makes a fabulous Easter recipe, so give it a go this year and everyone will love it.
HOW TO MAKE TRIPLE CHOCOLATE SWISS ROLL
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/350F Gas 4. Grease & base line a 30 x 20 cm (11¾ in x 8in) Swiss roll tin with baking parchment.
- Using an electric hand whisk, beat the eggs and sugar together in a large bowl for 10 minutes until its pale, thick and has doubled in size.
- Fold in the flour, cocoa powder and milk then pour into the prepared tin. Spreading to the corners with a palette knife. Bake for 10 minutes until springy to the touch.
- Lay a damp tea towel on the work surface and top with a piece of greaseproof paper large than the Swiss roll. Dust the greaseproof paper with the caster sugar then carefully turn out the warm sponge onto the sugar-dusted paper.
- Peel away the greaseproof paper on the base of the sponge then score a line along one of the shorter ends of the sponge, approximately 1cm (½in) away from the edge.
- Start rolling using this incision and use the greaseproof paper to help you turn it tightly. Wrap in the damp tea towel and leave to cool completely.
- Using the electric whisk beat the butter and icing sugar together until pale and fluffy. Beat in the melted milk chocolate until combined. Unroll the sponge and spread with the butter cream leaving a 1cm (½in) border of clean Carefully re roll beginning again at the end with the incision. Roll all the way to the end and stop once the seal is at the base. Drizzle with the melted white chocolate, then the dark chocolate and top with the chocolate curls to serve.
- 3 medium eggs
- 75g (3oz) caster sugar, plus 2 tbsp to dust
- 75g (3oz) plain flour, sieved
- 25g (1oz) cocoa powder mixed
- 1 tbsp semi skimmed milk
- 100g (4oz) unsalted butter, softened
- 100g (4oz) icing sugar
- 50g (2oz) milk chocolate, melted
- 50g (2oz) white chocolate, melted
- 25g (1oz) dark chocolate, melted
- 25g (1oz) chocolate curls (see tip)
Top Tip for making Triple Chocolate Swiss Roll
To make chocolate curls melt 100g (4oz) of chocolate and spread evenly over a baking sheet. Place in the fridge to set for 10-20 minutes but do not leave for to long or the chocolate will be to hard. Place the baking sheet on the work surface in front of you. Lean against the surface to steady the tray, then slowly drag a large knife at a 90 degree angle towards you so it scrapes a thin layer that curls up as you drag.
Christmas Cake Tray Bake
For a quick and easy alternative to Christmas cake, try out this Christmas Cake Tray Bake. It's packed with all the delicious fruit you'd expect and is so quick!
By Samuel Goldsmith • Published
Burnt Basque Cheesecake with Mulberry sauce
Once we tried our first slice of burnt Basque cheesecake from San Sebastian, we knew it was love! We’ve paired ours with some seasonal berries for good measure.
By Rose Fooks • Published
Christmas pudding cheesecake
This Christmas pudding cheesecake makes an excellent pud for the Boxing Day buffet
By Rose Fooks • Published
Prince Andrew's Twitter and Youtube deleted after Queen strips royal privileges
Prince Andrew's Instagram has also been set to private
By Emma Dooney • Published
Queen urged to change line of succession as Princess Anne 'would make a far better monarch' than her brothers
The Queen has been urged to change the royal line of succession by fans who want Princess Anne to rule instead of Prince Charles
By Laura Harman • Published
Rosemary oil for hair loss—Trichologist dubbed 'Hair Whisperer' on if TikTok trend works
Rosemary oil for hair loss? Ricardo Vila Nova, 'Hair Whisperer' examines viral TikTok craze and reveals what REALLY prevents hair loss
By Aoife Hanna • Published