Don’t feel daunted by the long list of ingredients – this soup only takes about half an hour to prepare, and is easy to make. Coconut milk and chicken broth are the creamy base of this soup, not forgetting the fresh ginger and fish sauce, which give this comfort food an Asian twist.Chicken gets a great accompaniment from mushrooms, scallions and sugar snap peas, which give the soup crispy flavour. The citrus flavour of lime juice and zest goes well with chicken, completing this dish. The recipe makes enough soup for six people, and the best thing is, you can prepare this dish in advance. Garnish the dish with lime wedges and coriander. Looking for more cooking inspiration? Have a look at our other delicious soup recipes.
HOW TO MAKE THAI GINGER-CHICKEN SOUP
- 392ml unsweetened coconut milk
- 392ml unsweetened light coconut milk
- 700ml reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 inch fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 3 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp grated lime zest
- 680g chicken thighs, skinless and deboned, cut into
- inch chunks
- 230g mushrooms, sliced
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced, including some tender green tops
- 1 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped
- 230g sugar snap peas, thinly sliced
- 360g frozen corn kernels
- Combine the coconut milks, broth, ginger, fish sauce, lime juice and zest in a large soup pot, heat to medium-low and add the chicken. Simmer until the chicken is cooked through and the flavours have melded.
- Stir in the mushrooms, scallions, coriander, snap peas and corn. Bring the soup back to a simmer and cook for 3 minutes just until the snap peas are tender-crisp.
- At the table, add curry paste to taste and garnish with lime wedges and coriander.
Top Tip for making Thai Ginger-Chicken Soup
Only complete step 1 in you're preparing this soup in advance.
Christmas Cake Tray Bake
For a quick and easy alternative to Christmas cake, try out this Christmas Cake Tray Bake. It's packed with all the delicious fruit you'd expect and is so quick!
By Samuel Goldsmith • Published
Burnt Basque Cheesecake with Mulberry sauce
Once we tried our first slice of burnt Basque cheesecake from San Sebastian, we knew it was love! We’ve paired ours with some seasonal berries for good measure.
By Rose Fooks • Published
Christmas pudding cheesecake
This Christmas pudding cheesecake makes an excellent pud for the Boxing Day buffet
By Rose Fooks • Published
The Queen's heartbreaking joke to national treasure Sir David Attenborough
The Queen's heartbreaking joke to national treasure Sir David Attenborough shows despite gloomy topics—she's always got a sense of humor
By Aoife Hanna • Published
11 inspirational poetry quotes that will get you thinking
These inspirational poetry quotes from the likes of William Shakespeare, Emily Dickinson, and Maya Angelou pack a powerful punch
By Arielle Tchiprout • Published
The strange reason this expert wants you to continue wearing masks
Masks can help save you from infection and disease, but can wearing a face mask also help you get a date? This study suggests so...
By Laura Harman • Published