By Woman and Home published
This spicy vegetable soup is a great belly-warmer on a cold day, but it’s not too heavy to enjoy as a summer soup, either. The base of the soup comes from classics such as celery, swede and carrots. The exciting unusual ingredient of the soup is dried apricots together with the spices, such as chilli flakes, turmeric and cumin. Blend them all together and you’ve got yourself a delicious spicy vegetarian soup that is suitable for vegans, too. Looking for more ideas? We have plenty of other soup recipes for you to try, suitable for all occasions.
HOW TO MAKE SPICY VEGETABLE SOUP
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and fry the onion until softened, about 5 minutes
- Add all the remaining diced vegetables and cook over a low heat for another 5 minutes until lightly browned
- Add the apricots and spices and fry for 1 minute then pour on the vegetable stock and bring up to the boil. Simmer for about 20 minutes until the vegetables are tender
- Purée the mixture in a blender until finely chopped and a nice thick consistency, then season to taste and stir in the lime juice and herbs just before serving.
- 1 onion, peeled and diced
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 sticks celery, diced
- 2 parsnips peeled and diced
- 150g swede, peeled and diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 75g dried apricots
- 1tsp ground cumin
- 1tsp ground coriander
- 1tsp Sumac
- ½tsp turmeric
- ¼tsp dried chilli flakes
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- juice of 1 lime
- 2tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 2tbsp chopped fresh coriander
Christmas Cake Tray Bake
For a quick and easy alternative to Christmas cake, try out this Christmas Cake Tray Bake. It's packed with all the delicious fruit you'd expect and is so quick!
By Samuel Goldsmith • Published
Burnt Basque Cheesecake with Mulberry sauce
Once we tried our first slice of burnt Basque cheesecake from San Sebastian, we knew it was love! We’ve paired ours with some seasonal berries for good measure.
By Rose Fooks • Published
Christmas pudding cheesecake
This Christmas pudding cheesecake makes an excellent pud for the Boxing Day buffet
By Rose Fooks • Published
Air signs—Libra, Gemini, and Aquarius zodiacs explained
Air signs of the zodiac are Libra, Gemini, and Aquarius—here's everything you need to know about what it means to be an air sign
By Rylee Johnston • Published
Anna Hathaway dressed like her character in The Devil Wears Prada and fans can't get enough
The Internet had a lot to say about Anne Hathaway's latest look after she shared it on Instagram...
By Anna Rahmanan • Published
Zara and Mike Tindall confuse Australian interviewer with tropical background
The royal couple showed off their funny side in their most recent interview
By Emma Dooney • Published