A classic mince recipe with a spicy twist, this warming recipe is a great way to feed the whole family come rain or shine.
HOW TO MAKE SPICED COTTAGE PIE WITH WINTER ROOT MASH
- 900g (2lb) extra-lean minced beef
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots (around 175g/6oz), diced
- 2 celery sticks, diced
- 2tsp ground coriander
- 1tsp ground cumin
- ½tsp chilli flakes
- 1tbsp curry powder
- 1tbsp tomato purée
- 600ml (1pt) beef stock
- 200g (7oz) passata
- 2tbsp Worcester sauce
for the topping
- 150g (5oz) carrot, peeled and roughly chopped
- 300g (10oz) parsnip, peeled and roughly chopped
- 850g (1lb 14oz) sweet potato, peeled and roughly chopped
- 50ml (2fl oz) milk
- 1 large free-range egg, beaten
- good grating nutmeg
you will need
- 1 large ovenproof dish or 6 small ones
- For the filling, heat a sauté pan on a medium heat. If your pan isn't non-stick, you will need a little oil. Brown the mince; you may need to do this in batches. Set aside.
- Add the onion to the pan and stir occasionally until lightly browned. Add the carrots and celery, and stir for a few minutes. Now add the spices, stirring for another minute. Add the tomato purée, stock, passata and Worcester sauce to the mixture, bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer and leave to cook for 35 minutes. The gravy should be thick; if it's too thin, increase the heat and reduce the liquid.
- Heat the oven to 220C, 200C fan, 425F, gas 7. For the topping, put the carrot, parsnip and sweet potato in a large saucepan of cold water, bring to the boil then simmer until tender. Drain and mash with the milk, egg and nutmeg. Season.
- Spoon the filling into the dish andtop with the mash. Cook for 25 to 30 minutes or until browned and bubbling.
Top Tip for making Spiced Cottage Pie with Winter Root Mash
Reduce the fat even more with minced turkey and chicken stock
Christmas Cake Tray Bake
For a quick and easy alternative to Christmas cake, try out this Christmas Cake Tray Bake. It's packed with all the delicious fruit you'd expect and is so quick!
By Samuel Goldsmith • Published
Burnt Basque Cheesecake with Mulberry sauce
Once we tried our first slice of burnt Basque cheesecake from San Sebastian, we knew it was love! We’ve paired ours with some seasonal berries for good measure.
By Rose Fooks • Published
Christmas pudding cheesecake
This Christmas pudding cheesecake makes an excellent pud for the Boxing Day buffet
By Rose Fooks • Published
Working from home tips: simple ways to make sure you're still productive
These simple working from home tips are easy to implement and should make your daily tasks a lot easier to achieve
By Amy Hunt • Published
February new moon 2022—new moon in Aquarius says it's time to look at the bigger picture
February new moon 2022 in Aquarius says it’s time to start working on the vision board—here's what that means for your star sign
By Maria Sofia Marmanides • Published
The Gilded Age—everything we know about HBO’s new drama from Downton Abbey creator Julian Fellowes
HBO’s The Gilded Age boasts an A-list cast including Cynthia Nixon, Christine Baranski, and Meryl Streep’s daughter, Louisa Jacobson
By Jack Slater • Published