By Woman and Home published
HOW TO MAKE SLOW-ROASTED LAMB SALAD WITH FREEKEH AND POMEGRANATE
- Preheat the oven to 160C (315F/gas mark 2-3). Crush the cumin seeds and cinnamon in a mortar and pestle. Drizzle the lamb with the oil and rub with the crushed spices, then season well with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Brown the lamb in a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat, turning to brown both sides.
- Place the lamb shoulder in a large roasting pan and brush with about three-quarters of the combined pomegranate molasses and honey. Place a large piece of non-stick baking paper over the lamb, tucking the edges under, then cover the entire pan with a layer of foil. Roast the lamb for 2½-3 hours, or until the meat is extremely tender and can be shredded with a fork. Brush the remaining pomegranate mixture over the lamb, then set aside and cool slightly. Coarsely shred the meat.
- Meanwhile, cook the freekeh in a large saucepan of lightly salted boiling water for 15-20 minutes or until al dente. Rinse under cold running water, then drain well, squeezing out as much excess water as possible. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Blanch the broccolini in a large saucepan of boiling water until bright green and tender-crisp. Refresh under cold running water, then drain well. Add the broccolini, onion and three-quarters of the pomegranate seeds to the freekeh and stir to combine.
- Whisk together the extra olive oil and pomegranate molasses and 1tbsp of the reserved pomegranate juice. Add to the salad and toss to combine, then season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- To serve, pile the salad on to a large serving platter, top with the shredded lamb and sprinkle with the remaining pomegranate seeds.
- 1tsp cumin seeds
- ½tsp ground cinnamon
- 1.25kg boneless lamb shoulder
- 1tbsp olive oil, plus 1½tbsp extra
- 60ml (2floz or ¼ cup) pomegranate molasses plus 1tbsp extra
- 1tbsp honey
- 175g cracked freekeh
- 2 bunches broccolini, trimmed and cut into long florets
- ½ small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 pomegranate, seeds removed and juice reserved
Christmas Cake Tray Bake
For a quick and easy alternative to Christmas cake, try out this Christmas Cake Tray Bake. It's packed with all the delicious fruit you'd expect and is so quick!
By Samuel Goldsmith • Published
Burnt Basque Cheesecake with Mulberry sauce
Once we tried our first slice of burnt Basque cheesecake from San Sebastian, we knew it was love! We’ve paired ours with some seasonal berries for good measure.
By Rose Fooks • Published
Christmas pudding cheesecake
This Christmas pudding cheesecake makes an excellent pud for the Boxing Day buffet
By Rose Fooks • Published
Kate Hudson's new wallpaper is the stuff of dreams—it's time to redecorate!
Kate Hudson tagged wall covering company Arte in her latest Instagram post showing off her fabulous powder room
By Anna Rahmanan • Published
The best romantic movies to get your heart fluttering in 2022
This critic's picked the best romantic movies to get you through these dark winter nights
By Emma Shacklock • Published
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle pay tribute to Princess Diana with new Delaware company
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have named their new publishing company after one of the late royal's favorite songs
By Emma Dooney • Published