Our poached pears in white wine make for a brilliant dinner party dessert because they can be prepared ahead of time and simply warmed through when you want to serve. We’ve used mead for our poached pears in white wine which has subtle honey-like flavours but you could use another sweet white wine if you prefer. We like to serve the poached pears in white wine with crème fraiche because it helps cut through the sweetness, but if you’ve got a sweet tooth you could opt for ice cream. To add a bit of texture try serving with a sprinkling of toasted walnuts.
- Peel the pears. In a saucepan, combine the mead, water, caster, lemon, vanilla pod, cardamom pods and saffron and bring to a slow rolling simmer. Simmer the pears for 7-10mins (this depends on the ripeness of your pears, very ripe pears will be closer to 7mins and less ripe 10 to 12).
- Turn off the heat and remove the pears from the poaching syrup. Reduce the syrup for a few minutes and add the rhubarb for 2mins. Take off the heat and remove the rhubarb with a draining spoon (before it disintegrates). Serve each pear on a plate with rhubarb, sauce and a big dollop of crème fraiche.
- 6 pears (we used Conference)
- 450ml Mead or similar sweet white wine
- 650ml water
- 120g caster sugar
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 vanilla pod, split lengthways
- 4 cardamom pods
- pinch of saffron
- 200g forced rhubarb, cut into chunks
- crème fraiche, to serve
Top Tip for making Poached pears in white wine
Mead is a great option with a luscious honey flavour. But don’t feel it’s the only option: sauternes or any other sweet white wine you have would be perfect too.
Jules Mercer is a food writer, stylist and editor.
Christmas Cake Tray Bake
For a quick and easy alternative to Christmas cake, try out this Christmas Cake Tray Bake. It's packed with all the delicious fruit you'd expect and is so quick!
By Samuel Goldsmith • Published
Burnt Basque Cheesecake with Mulberry sauce
Once we tried our first slice of burnt Basque cheesecake from San Sebastian, we knew it was love! We’ve paired ours with some seasonal berries for good measure.
By Rose Fooks • Published
Christmas pudding cheesecake
This Christmas pudding cheesecake makes an excellent pud for the Boxing Day buffet
By Rose Fooks • Published
Best Valentine's Day Movies to watch this February 14
Here is our list of best romantic movies to enjoy this Valentine's Day, from rom-coms to period dramas there's something for everyone
By Laura Harman • Published
Chinese New Year 2022—Year of the Water Tiger and the lunar celebration explained
Chinese New Year 2022 welcomes in the Year of the Water Tiger—here's everything to know about the celebration and its lunar connections
By Aoife Hanna • Published
Adele's Las Vegas set removal from Caesars Palace has ticketholders worried for future concerts
Adele postponed all of her Las Vegas residency dates last week
By Emma Dooney • Published