Try making this lamb casserole recipe a day ahead and then reheat it – it tastes so much better.
Lamb goes really well with apricots and prunes and this lamb recipe is full of sweet flavours that are complimented by the use of spices like cumin and ginger.
While you’ll need to brown the meat and veg first, this casserole recipe is really quick to prep and all you need to do is wait when all the ingredients are in the pan.
HOW TO MAKE LAMB CASSEROLE WITH APRICOTS AND PRUNES
- Heat the vegetable oil and butter in a frying pan. Dust the diced lamb with flour and fry a few pieces at a time until well browned, then transfer to a large saucepan.
- When all the meat has been browned, add the onions, garlic and carrots to the pan and cook over a medium heat for 5 minutes. Add all the spices and continue to cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add the cooked vegetables and spices to the lamb, pour over the wine and add 150ml (1/4pt) water. Add the prunes and apricots, and give everything a good stir. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Cover the pan with a lid and cook over a gentle heat for 11/2 to 13/4 hours, or until the lamb is tender.
- 2tbsp vegetable oil
- 25g (1oz) unsalted butter
- 750g (1lb 9oz) neck of lamb, diced
- 3tbsp plain flour, seasoned
- 2 onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced into rounds
- 1tbsp ground coriander
- 1tbsp ground cumin
- 1tsp ground ginger
- 1tsp paprika
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 600ml (1pt) red wine
- 100g (4oz) Pruneaux d'Agen, pitted
- 100g (4oz) dried apricots
Christmas Cake Tray Bake
For a quick and easy alternative to Christmas cake, try out this Christmas Cake Tray Bake. It's packed with all the delicious fruit you'd expect and is so quick!
By Samuel Goldsmith • Published
Burnt Basque Cheesecake with Mulberry sauce
Once we tried our first slice of burnt Basque cheesecake from San Sebastian, we knew it was love! We’ve paired ours with some seasonal berries for good measure.
By Rose Fooks • Published
Christmas pudding cheesecake
This Christmas pudding cheesecake makes an excellent pud for the Boxing Day buffet
By Rose Fooks • Published
Best Valentine's Day Movies to watch this February 14
Here is our list of best romantic movies to enjoy this Valentine's Day, from rom-coms to period dramas there's something for everyone
By Laura Harman • Published
Chinese New Year 2022—Year of the Water Tiger and the lunar celebration explained
Chinese New Year 2022 welcomes in the Year of the Water Tiger—here's everything to know about the celebration and its lunar connections
By Aoife Hanna • Published
Adele's Las Vegas set removal from Caesars Palace has ticketholders worried for future concerts
Adele postponed all of her Las Vegas residency dates last week
By Emma Dooney • Published