Taken from Christmas with Gordon by Gordon Ramsay (Quadrille Publishing, RRP £15)
For the Marsala jelly
- 2 medium sheets leaf gelatine (11 x 7.5cm)
- 200ml Marsala
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
For the trifle
- 500g mascarpone
- 6 tbsp icing sugar, plus extra to finish
- finely grated zest of 2 oranges
- 5–6 tbsp Vin Santo or Marsala, plus extra to drizzle
- 50g chopped mixed peel (optional)
- 300ml double cream
- about 250g panettone
- dark chocolate, for grating
- To make the jelly, soak the gelatine sheets in a shallow dish of cold water. Meanwhile, put the Marsala and sugar into a small saucepan and stir over a low heat until the sugar has dissolved. Bring almost to the boil and then take off the heat. Squeeze the gelatine to remove excess water, then add to the Marsala syrup and stir until fully dissolved. Pour the mixture into a shallow container and leave to cool, then cover and refrigerate for a few hours until set.
- Put the mascarpone into a bowl and sift in the icing sugar. Add the orange zest, Vin Santo or Marsala and mixed peel, if using. Beat until evenly mixed.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the cream to soft peaks and then fold into the mascarpone mixture, using a large metal spoon or spatula.
- Cut the panettone into small cubes and place in a bowl. Drizzle over a little Vin Santo or Marsala and toss to coat.
- To assemble the trifle, place a layer of panettone in a large glass serving bowl. Roughly chop the Marsala jelly and scatter half over the panettone layer. Spread half the mascarpone mixture on top. Repeat these layers, then chill until ready to serve.
- To finish, grate a layer of chocolate over the surface.
Burnt Basque Cheesecake with Mulberry sauce
Once we tried our first slice of burnt Basque cheesecake from San Sebastian, we knew it was love! We’ve paired ours with some seasonal berries for good measure.
By Rose Fooks •
Christmas pudding cheesecake
This Christmas pudding cheesecake makes an excellent pud for the Boxing Day buffet
By Rose Fooks •
Friands with gooseberry and hazelnut
These friands with gooseberry and hazelnut make the most of the fruit's short season
By Samuel Goldsmith •
Willie Garson scene in Sex and the City reboot trailer has fans in tears
Willie Garson, who played Stanford on Sex and the City, died in September
By Emma Dooney •
Princess Diana features in film narrated by Prince Harry on World AIDS Day
Princess Diana in film narrated by Prince Harry as he speaks on her behalf in letter raising awareness on World AIDS Day
By Aoife Hanna •
Meghan Markle's lawyer hits back back at one of public's biggest 'Sussexit' criticisms insisting they never 'took a vow of silence'
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry never intended to take a 'vow of silence' after leaving the UK, their lawyer has insisted
By Caitlin Elliott •