By Woman and Home published
Fillet steak is so special it makes the perfect dinner party recipe to share with your friends.
HOW TO MAKE FILLET STEAK WITH BUBBLE AND SQUEAK CAKES
Fabulous flavoured butters A great way to add taste to grilled meat or fish, here are some more delicious combos:
Dill, for salmon or chicken. Shallot and chive, with chicken or steak. Anchovy and black pepper, great with lamb.
- 2 x 250g (9oz) fillet steaks
- green salad to serve
For the blue cheese butter
- 50g (2oz) butter, softened
- 30g Cornish Blue or Stilton cheese, crumbled
- 1tbsp snipped fresh chives
For the bubble and squeak cakes
- 1 large Maris Piper or Desiree potato, peeled and chopped
- 25g (1oz) butter
- 75g (3oz) pancetta cubetti or bacon, chopped
- 1/4 Savoy cabbage, shredded
- dash olive oil
- To make the blue cheese butter, put the softened butter, Cornish Blue, chives and pepper into a bowl and mash together. Place on clingfilm, roll into a sausage shape and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the bubble and squeak cakes: boil the chopped potato in boiling salted water until tender, drain, add the butter and seasoning and mash until smooth. Leave to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, fry the pancetta until golden, remove from the pan and drain on kitchen paper. Add the shredded cabbage to the pan with a splash of water and saute for 3 to 4 minutes. Leave to cool slightly, then mix the pancetta and cabbage with the mashed potato. Shape into 4 cakes and refrigerate for at least 10 minutes.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan, add the cakes and cook for 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until golden. Place on a baking sheet in a low oven and keep warm until ready to serve.
- Rub the steaks with olive oil and season well. Heat a frying pan until smoking hot and pan fry for 4 minutes on each side for medium rare. Set aside and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
- To serve, place the bubble and squeak cakes on plates and top with the fillet steaks. Slice the blue cheese butter into discs, place 3 discs on top of each steak and blow torch, or just pop under a preheated grill to melt the butter. Serve with a large green salad.
Top Tip for making Fillet Steak with Bubble and Squeak Cakes
The blue cheese butter can be made up to 1 week ahead and kept in the fridge. The bubble and squeak cake mix can be made and shaped 2 days ahead.
Christmas Cake Tray Bake
For a quick and easy alternative to Christmas cake, try out this Christmas Cake Tray Bake. It's packed with all the delicious fruit you'd expect and is so quick!
By Samuel Goldsmith • Published
Burnt Basque Cheesecake with Mulberry sauce
Once we tried our first slice of burnt Basque cheesecake from San Sebastian, we knew it was love! We’ve paired ours with some seasonal berries for good measure.
By Rose Fooks • Published
Christmas pudding cheesecake
This Christmas pudding cheesecake makes an excellent pud for the Boxing Day buffet
By Rose Fooks • Published
Prince William recalls grief over Princess Diana’s death with boy who lost his mother
Prince William opened up to 11-year-old Deacon Glover about his mother's death on Thursday
By Emma Dooney • Published
Prince Andrew laughed when his dog bit maid, leaving her 'bleeding'
Prince Andrew laughed when his dog bit a maid who worked for the royal family, leaving her badly injured—'He wasn’t bothered'
By Aoife Hanna • Published
Meat Loaf has died age 74—tributes pour in from Cher and Stephen Fry
Meat Loaf has died with his beloved wife Deborah by his side as people remember his extraordinary career.
By Emma Shacklock • Published