Crispy duck pancakes…but not as you know them! Our fun French-inspired crispy duck hash pancakes are a twist on the classic and well worth the effort.
These crispy duck (opens in new tab) hash pancakes are a perfect for a weekend brunch (opens in new tab) or lunch. Confit duck is one of the most famous French dishes (opens in new tab) – it’s duck that is slowly cooked in its own fat. It’s incredibly decadent and full of flavour. It’s possible to make your own confit duck legs at home but we have opted for the ready made kind found in supermarkets to save you both time and effort.
- Steam the sweet potato until soft. Meanwhile, cook the duck according to packet instructions. When the duck is cooked, carefully shred it into bite- sized chunks. Stir together the sweet potato, duck, hoisin sauce and spring onions (keeping a few to garnish). Place to one side.
- Place the flour and salt in a large bowl. Whisk in 1 egg and 100ml of the milk until smooth. Gradually whisk in the remaining milk.
- Heat a 20cm crepe pan (or frying pan) and brush with a little vegetable oil. Pour about 2tbsp of the batter into the pan, tilting so that the batter coats the base evenly. Cook, loosening edge with a spatula until crepe is browned lightly underneath. Turn crepe and cook until browned on other side. Transfer to a plate or oven proof dish; cover to keep warm.
- In a separate frying pan heat 2tbsp vegetable oil on a medium high heat and fry the sweet potato mix, stirring occasionally until crispy, about 5-10 mins. Remove the mixture from the pan and add another 2tbsp of vegetable oil to the pan and fry 4 eggs.
- To assemble, place one of the pancakes back into the crepe pan and bring up to a medium heat. Spoon one-quarter of the sweet potato mix into the middle of the crepe and place a fried egg on top, fold up the edges to form a little pancake parcel. Leave in the pan for a further min until the bottom crisps a little. Repeat with the remaining mixture and eggs. Sprinkle over the reserved spring onion.
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into cubes
- 2 confit duck legs (can be found in supermarkets)
- 100g spring onions, finely sliced
- 5tbsp hoisin sauce
- 75g plain flour
- 5 large eggs
- 200ml milk
- Salt and pepper
- Vegetable oil
Top Tip for making Crispy duck hash pancakes
Switch out the duck for jackfruit for a veggie alternative.
These petite cakes are made even prettier with bottlegreen raspberry cordial icing and a sprinkle of dried rose petals
By Jessica Ransom • Published
Pomegranate and elderflower semifreddo
The subtle flavours in this frozen Pomegranate and elderflower semifreddo loaf are perfect for a summer dinner al fresco
By Jessica Ransom • Published
Eton mess tart
We’ve turned a traditional British pudding into a gorgeous white chocolate tart. Summer puddings don’t get any better than this Eton Mess tart.
By Rosie Conroy • Published
The delicious way the Royal Family are celebrating pancake day
And it’s less traditional than you might think…
By Laura Harman • Published
Help! French and Italian wine could become more expensive
Climate change is hurting vineyards in France, causing historic low production
By Rebecca Holland • Published
Prince Charles breaks strict diet for Big Jubilee Lunch in London
The Prince of Wales made a rare exception to his meal plan to enjoy the Big Jubilee Lunch in honor of the Queen's 70-year-long reign
By Emma Dooney • Published